News, Culture & Society

A Queensland man allegedly involved in a junior football brawl granted bail

Man is charged over brawl that left a father with two broken eye sockets, a shattered nose and fractured cheek at a junior footy game is granted bail

  • Talapuse Tuiali, 36, is charged over a violent assault of spectator at footy game 
  • The alleged brawl played out at under-13s rugby match in Wynnum, Queenland 
  • Tuiali was originally refused bail but was granted it on appeal on Thursday 

A 36-year-old man accused of assaulting a spectator at a junior rugby league game in southeast Queensland has been granted bail.

Talapuse Tuialii is charged with his 19-year-old brother Griffith Lilomaiava and two men not known to them, Barry Sepulona, 24, and Solomona Solomona, 26,

The men are each charged with assaulting a 35-year-old man who was left with serious facial injuries during the brawl.

Talapuse Tuialii (pictured) was granted bail on Thursday over the alleged brawl 

Griffith Lilomaiava was also charged over the brawl at an under-13s footy game in Queensland

Griffith Lilomaiava was also charged over the brawl at an under-13s footy game in Queensland 

The alleged attack occurred during an under 13 rugby league game at the sports ground at Wynnum, southeast of Brisbane, about 11.30am on Mother’s Day, May 9.

The men faced Wynnum Magistrates Court earlier this month where Tuialii and Sepulona were refused bail.

Tuialii took his bid to be released to the Brisbane Supreme Court, where it was not opposed by the prosecution on Thursday.

Josh Jones (pictured) in hospital after the alleged brawl

Josh Jones (pictured) in hospital after the alleged brawl 

During the earlier court appearance, police said there was an initial incident in the grandstand when Josh Jones – whose son was playing footy – was punched and kicked.

Mr Jones fell down the stairs, knocking over a 59-year-old woman who was also injured.

This was followed by a ‘feeding frenzy’ where Mr Jones was set on by a group that allegedly included the four men, magistrate Zac Sarra said while watching footage of the incident.

The men are due to have their matters mentioned in Wynnum Magistrates Court on July 12.

They are all suspended indefinitely from rugby league matches by Queensland Rugby League. 

The fight was captured on video showing the alleged brawl with the victim surrounded by several other spectators

The fight was captured on video showing the alleged brawl with the victim surrounded by several other spectators 

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk