Aaron Carter didn’t think he’d make it to see 30.
The star, who reached the milestone last week, opened up about his fears in a new interview with UsWeekly this week, saying ‘I thought I would die by 30’.
Shockingly Aaron said he felt the same way as a child, as he admitted: ‘Even when I was 13, 14, I thought, “Oh, my God. I’m going to die.”‘
The pop star began performing at seven-years-old and found fame at 10 with his first single Crush On You.
‘I thought I would die by 30’: Aaron Carter has opened up about his fears of dying young after a troubled childhood and difficult past year
It’s been a rough year for the singer, his father Bob passed away in May and he was arrested for a DUI in July.
He also split up with girlfriend Madison Parker and came out as bisexual a month later.
‘Life, it was pretty tough,’ recalled the I Want Candy hitmaker.
‘I dealt with a lot of trauma, a lot of loss, a lot of loneliness. I just felt like I needed to get away.’
Aaron entered rehab over the summer weighing just 115 pounds and completed most of a 90 day program.
‘I’ve been burnt,’ he told the website. ‘My goal is to be the phoenix that rises from the ashes.’
The star is seen looking happy and healthy at his 30th birthday party on Thursday at Il Fornaio
Troubled: Carter entered a rehab facility over the summer after a difficult year which saw him arrested for a DUI in July
Now, Aaron is ready to turn over a new leaf, as he says: ‘It’s time to act like a frickin’ adult. I have new aspirations. All of those require my attention for music, and I’m telling you, I love in the studio. It’s the safest place for my and very therapeutic.’
In November prosecutors filed multiple charges against Aaron following his DUI arrest in July.
The star has been charged with possession of less than 1oz of marijuana, possession of drug related objects and refusing a DUI test; all three are misdemeanors.
‘It’s time to act like a frickin’ adult. I have new aspirations’ The 30-year-old star is looking great after putting on weight. He is seen in an Instagram from last month
Checked out: The singer reportedly left rehab after two months, and appears to already be back making music as he shared a snap of himself in the studio
The news came after the singer left rehab after two months of treatment.
The I Want Candy hitmaker checked into a treatment facility in September to ‘improve his health and work on his overall wellness,’ and E! News reports he has left the center after completing a two month program.
Earlier this month, the star shared a shirtless before and after picture as he revealed he was happier, healthier and determined to get back into the studio.
He captioned the image: ‘This is my before and after pics. I went from 115 to 160 pounds in two months I feel amazing. 2018 I’m ready for you!! My new Music is on its way!’
Healing:In November the star shared a shirtless before and after picture as he revealed he was happier, healthier and determined to get back into the studio
Aaron’s decision to enter rehab came after he previously admitted he was ‘concerned’ about his ‘overall health.’
He explained: ‘I’m concerned about my overall health because people tell me I look like I have AIDs or I look like I have cancer or I look like I’m dying.’
In April of this year, the former teen heartthrob revealed why he had lost so much weight recently when he told fans he had suffered from a hiatal hernia which affects his appetite.
‘By the way y’all wanna know why I’m so skinny?’ he asked his 600,000 followers at the time. ‘It’s because @ 19 I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia, I didn’t choose that. Be kind to me.’
‘It’s a terrible stress condition that affects me having an appetite and I’m sorry this is the way I am,’ he continued. ‘Basically, I have an eating disorder.’
Giving back: Aaron also looked happy and healthy when he volunteered to serve food to the less fortunate in a Los Angeles food bank on Thanksgiving last month