The ABC has decided not to renew Screen Time for a second season this year.
The movie and TV-themed panel show – hosted by Chris Taylor and a slew of special guests – was only a ‘one-off series’, according to the public broadcaster.
On Wednesday a spokesperson told TV tonight: ‘Screen Time was a one-off series in 2017. We have no plans for a second series at this time.’
‘It was a one-off series’: ABC’s panel show Screen Time cancelled after the network AXED Tonightly and The Checkout
The 30-minute show featured an ensemble cast of regular panellists, including Sophie Black, Marc Fennell, Benjamin Law, Judith Lucy, Nakkiah Lui, Zan Rowe, Sami Shah, Michael Williams and Susie Youssef.
It is understood the decision to cancel the program, which commenced screening in October last year, was made some months ago by the network.
It comes after ABC’s comedy series Tonightly with Tom Ballard was axed after just two seasons.
‘Screen Time was a one-off series in 2017. We have no plans for a second series at this time’: It is understood the decision to cancel the program (which commenced screening in October last year) was made some months ago by the network
Defunct series: The news comes after ABC’s comedy series Tonightly was axed after just two seasons. Tom Ballard pictured on ABC program QandA
The ABC released a statement earlier this month, informing viewers that the broadcaster was wanting a ‘fresh approach’.
The show’s final airdate scheduled for September 7.
‘Tonightly deliberately pushed boundaries to inform and entertain,’ an ABC spokesperson said.
Tough market! ABC’s comedy series Tonightly is axed after two seasons with the network wanting a ‘fresh approach’
‘We are proud of the program and its role in supporting some of Australia’s best emerging comedy talent.
‘Our thanks go to the very talented team members for their hard work and dedication in producing a complex and cracking show in quick time, over some 150 episodes.’
The ABC added that it would continue to produce innovative content.
‘Attracting younger audiences requires bold approaches and we continually experiment with new content and new formats particularly on digital platforms,’ the statement continued.
‘We remain committed to exploring and developing projects that connect with different demographics.’
Host Tom Ballard also said that he was ‘so proud of the work’ the team had achieved and enjoyed being ‘surrounded by laughter and stupidity for an entire year’.
Farewell: Host Tom Ballard [pictured] said in an official statement that he is ‘so proud of the work’ the program achieved
The axing of Tonightly came just weeks after the ABC announced that consumer affairs program The Checkout would not be renewed after six seasons due to budget cuts.
In spite of the show’s recent Logie nomination for Most Popular Lifestyle Program, the network claimed it had ‘decided not to proceed with the next series’.
Daily Mail Australia has contacted the ABC for comment.
Axed: It comes after the ABC announced that consumer affairs program The Checkout would not be renewed after six seasons, due to budget cuts. Pictured: The Checkout panel