A schoolboy allegedly went to the police more than six years ago to allege he had been indecently assaulted by former radio star and Wallabies coach Alan Jones.
The claim, published by the Sydney Morning Herald on Monday, came despite the NSW Police Commissioner Karen Webb last week saying no police complaints had been made about Jones, 82.
‘I’m informed at this stage no one has made a complaint to police, but of course if they do, we will take that investigation and fully investigate that matter,’ Ms Webb said on Friday.
Jones, a former broadcaster, teacher and sports coach, has denied all allegations printed in Nine’s newspapers last week about his alleged behaviour towards a radio employee, a waiter, a musician and a young businessman who has since died.
A schoolboy allegedly went to the police more than six years ago to allege that he had been indecently assaulted by former radio star Alan Jones (pictured). Jones denies all allegations of assault that have been made against him
The Herald reported the schoolboy alleged he was assaulted by Jones when he was invited to spend a weekend at Jones’s home in the Fitzroy Falls in January 2017.
The boy made a complaint to police, but the matter did not go any further.
A police spokesperson told Daily Mail Australia that the NSW Sex Crimes Squad ‘were made aware early Friday afternoon that a previous (alleged) victim of a matter reported to police in 2017 may be willing to engage further with police.
‘That person is currently overseas, and investigators will seek contact with the individual this week.’
They added that ‘as there is no victim willing to progress a police complaint at this time, it is correct that there is no current investigation.’
Jones – one of Australia’s most influential broadcasters as a radio host at 2UE and 2GB from 1985 to 2020 – has threatened to sue Nine’s newspapers for defamation over its reporting.
A spokesperson for Jones’s lawyers reportedly warned the Herald that its reporting about this young man’s claim could lead to ‘aggravated damages in the foreshadowed defamation proceedings’.
Separately writing in the Sunday Telegraph at the weekend, Peta Credlin – a former chief of staff to Liberal prime minister Tony Abbott – defended Jones.
‘What has happened to the rule of law in this country where allegations of assault go first to the media and not the police?’ she wrote.
Ms Credlin said that allegations aired in the media meant people were ‘dragged through the mud and the damage is done even where the police might later conclude there is no evidence to even lay charges let alone win the case in the court’.
Credlin, who has a show on Sky News, said Jones ‘was and is, kind to a fault.
‘I know of dozens and dozens of people he has helped, causes he has supported out of his own pocket and done so quietly. I judge people as I find them,’ she said.
In a statement released last Thursday, Jones’ lawyer, Mark O’Brien said ‘The allegations against Alan Jones by Kate McClymont published today in the Nine newspapers are demonstrably false’.
Fellow conservative commentator Peta Credlin has said Alan Jones (pictured) ‘was and is, kind to a fault’
‘In the short time available since publication we have obtained substantial factual information which contradicts and refutes the alleged pattern of conduct by Mr Jones.
‘We have retained Senior Counsel and have instructions to immediately serve a Concerns Notice under Section 12A of the Defamation Act as the first step in the commencement of defamation proceedings.
‘There will be no further comment by or on behalf of Mr Jones.’