- American tourist Yevgeniy Vasilievich Bayraktar, 26, is being questioned for murder
- Police say the head of unidentified woman, 27, was found inside his vacation rental
- The New York man and woman were last spotted together on security footage
- Bayraktar and the woman reportedly met on social media before she was killed
- A search was conducted after police received a tip about Bayraktar confining the woman
An American man suspected in the murder of a Japanese woman is currently in custody in Japan.
Police say Yevgeniy Vasilievich Bayraktar, 26, is being questioned after the severed head of an unidentified woman, 27, was found inside his vacation rental at Osaka’s Higashinari Ward on February 24.
The New York man and Sanda woman, 27, were last spotted together on security footage at the JR Morinomiya Station in Osaka around midnight on February 16, just hours before she went missing, according to Asahi.
Police say her head was found inside a suitcase. Bayraktar was seen entering and leaving the apartment several times on February 16 with the suitcase. The woman was not seen leaving.
Yevgeniy Vasilievich Bayraktar, 26, was last spotted with the woman, 27, on security footage at the JR Morinomiya Station in Osaka
Video footage from a surveillance camera showed the woman entering a flat with the man, before the man was later seen coming in and out alone several times
Hyogo prefectural police (R) are pictured at the scene as they investigate an apartment (L) where a decapitated head was found in Osaka on February 24
A search had been conducted after police received a tip about Bayraktar confining the woman in the apartment.
He was arrested on February 22 on suspicion of locking up the victim.
The pair reportedly met on a ‘social networking site’ before making plans to arrange a trip, the woman informed one of her friends prior.
The newspaper reports the suspect denied the allegations and has remained silent when asked questions.
Bayraktar is seen hiding his face with a sheet as he was taken into custody last week