The furious family of an elderly woman who was allegedly sexually assaulted in her nursing home are demanding her accused attacker be removed from the facility.
Sean James Mulcahy, 62, was charged with sexually assaulting a woman in her 80s at Bupa Aged Care in Woodend, Victoria on June 29.
He was ordered to remain at least 10 metres from his alleged victim at all times but her family says he should have to leave the facility.
An elderly woman is being forced to live with a man who allegedly sexually assaulted her in her nursing home in Victoria
He has been issued a protection order preventing him from going within 10 metres of the woman, the Herald Sun reported.
He has denied the assault.
The woman’s son is furious at how the incident has been handled.
‘We want him removed from the nursing home,’ he said.
He said management only contacted his family about the incident this month and have yet to apologise.
Dr Melanie Lamden has told police Mulcahy displays narcissistic traits of being manipulative and self-serving.
She told police she did not think Mulcahy should be in the facility or any other facility with highly vulnerable residents.
A Bupa spokesman said there was a staff member who would supervise Mulcahy at all times.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced the royal commission into aged care last week
An agency had been searching for different accommodation for Mulcahy.
He said there was a requirement to provide security of tenure, which means a resident cannot be moved easily without arranging appropriate alternate accommodation.
Safety and wellbeing of their residents was their utmost priority, he said.
The aged-care complaints commission is investigating.
Shine Lawyers national abuse law manager Lisa Flynn said people are already reluctant to place family members in nursing homes over fear of inadequate support.
A Bupa spokesman said there was a staff member who would supervise the man accused of sexual assault at all times
She said these types of allegations are what forced the government to launch an investigation into the care of elderly.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced the royal commission into aged care last week.
‘I think we should brace ourselves for some pretty bruising information about the way our loved ones, some of them have experienced some real mistreatment’ Morrison told reporters last week.
‘I think that’s going to be tough for us to deal with, but you can’t walk past it.’
The family of an elderly woman who was allegedly sexually assaulted her in her nursing home in Victoria are furious her alleged attacker still lives at the same facility as her
Sorry we are not currently accepting comments on this article.