Cynthia Nixon says they were ‘very lucky’ to be able to cut Chris Noth’s additional scenes in And Just Like That, after the actor was accused of sexual assault by multiple women last month.
Chris’s alter ego John James ‘Mr Big’ Preston was killed off in the first episode of the Sex And The City spin-off, but he had also filmed scenes with on-screen wife Sarah Jessica Parker (Carrie Bradshaw) in Paris, France, to feature in the season finale.
However, following the allegations insiders told TV Line the cameo footage ‘will not make it to air’ now.
Cynthia Nixon says they were ‘very lucky’ to be able to cut Chris Noth’s additional scenes in And Just Like That, after the actor was accused of sexual assault by multiple women last month
Cynthia, 55, who plays Carrie’s friend Miranda Hobbes on the HBO series, told Entertainment Tonight: ‘I think we were very lucky that those changes were able to be made and I think we are very proud of our show.’
What’s more, following the passing of Willie Garson – who played Carrie’s gay best friend Stanford Blatch – in September, they were able to adapt the story so that his character was on tour around the world.
And the actress has explained how they wanted to ensure viewers weren’t ‘distracted’ from the characters.
Cut: Cynthia, 55, who plays Carrie’s friend Miranda Hobbes on the HBO series, said: ‘I think we were very lucky that those changes were able to be made’
She added: ‘We just wanted, you know, people to not be distracted or already feel, certainly with the death of Willie Garson, [which is] such a painful thing and already [something] viewers had to contend with. We didn’t want them to be distracted from the fictional characters.’
When it comes to another series of And Just Like That, Cynthia – who got to direct one episode and is an executive producer – insisted she doesn’t have much say in the matter.
She said: ‘Even though I’m an executive producer and I got to direct an episode, I am not a writer. And so, that is one of the great privileges of being a writer, that it’s not my job to figure it out, thank god.
‘You know, it’s my job to say that doesn’t seem right for my character. But in terms of the amazing writers, we have [been] dreaming things up.
‘They know much better than I do.’
Scrapped: Chris’s alter ego ‘Mr Big’ was killed off in the first episode of the Sex And The City spin-off, but he had also filmed scenes with on-screen wife Sarah Jessica Parker
Changes: What’s more, following the passing of Willie Garson – who played Carrie’s gay best friend Stanford Blatch (pictured right) – in September, they were able to adapt the story
Chris was accused of rape by two women, who both shared details of their alleged assaults with The Hollywood Reporter – with one of the women saying she was just 22 when Noth, then 49, attacked her and left her needing stitches.
The report led another woman to come forward and accuse Noth of groping her, while actress Zoe Lister-Jones recalled behaviour that made her describe him as a ‘predator’.
The actor’s Sex and the City co-stars, Sarah Jessica Parker, Cynthia Nixon, and Kristin Davis, issued a statement about the accusations made against him, saying: ‘We are deeply saddened to hear the allegations against Chris Noth.
Support: After the accusations stars Sarah, Cynthia, and Kristin Davis penned a joint statement in support of the women; pictured December 9
‘We support the women who have come forward and shared their painful experiences. We know it must be a very difficult thing to do and we commend them for it.’
In a statement to The Hollywood Reporter, Chris admitted he had ‘consensual encounters’ with the two women in the Hollywood Reporter story, both of which reportedly took place while he was in a relationship with his wife, but he strongly denied any accusations he assaulted them.
‘The accusations against me made by individuals I met years, even decades, ago are categorically false,’ the statement reads.
‘These stories could’ve been from 30 years ago or 30 days ago — no always means no — that is a line I did not cross. The encounters were consensual.
‘It’s difficult not to question the timing of these stories coming out. I don’t know for certain why they are surfacing now, but I do know this: I did not assault these women.’
Uncertain future: ‘There was talk about doing another season, but after the past few days all those conversations have stopped,’ an insider said recently
Read more at DailyMail.co.uk