The message every coronavirus doubter needs to read: Young Aussie writer who did ‘everything right’ catches the deadly virus after ten days in isolation and one beer with a mate
- Well-respected cricket journalist issues public plea to take coronavirus seriously
- Geoff Lemon struck down with virus despite doing ‘almost everything right’
- Comes as authorities urge Australians to follow strict social distancing measures
- Coronavirus symptoms: what are they and should you see a doctor?
A cricket commentator and writer has issued a startling public warning after he was struck down with the deadly coronavirus.
Geoff Lemon is among the latest Australians to be affected by the rapidly growing pandemic, despite taking extra precaution while catching up with mate over a beer.
The ABC and Guardian journalist took to Twitter on Saturday with a desperate plea to others to take the virus seriously and do everything to protect themselves.
Mr Lemon caught the virus, despite paying for his beer via Paywave and keeping the required 1.5 metres away his mate.
Geoff Lemon (pictured) was struck down with coronavirus, despite taking extra precautions
‘I did almost everything right. Worked at home. Saw one friend in the last 10 days. Had a beer for an hour outside a pub, either side of a big table. Fresh air, no contact. Washed my hands 3 times. Still caught corona from him. Do not f**k around with this thing,’ he wrote.
His tweet has been inundated with comments and retweeted more than 31,100 times within 15 hours.
Lemon later assured everyone he was fine and thanked well-wishers for their support.
‘My case is mild. But I could kill other people, so easily. Take care of each other out there,’ he replied.
His mate has also since been diagnosed with the virus but was unaware he already had it when the pair caught up.
‘He got symptoms a day later, then me two days later, then his test, then mine,’ Lemon wrote.
Geoff Lemon shared his story in a desperate plea to others to take the virus seriously
CORONAVIRUS CASES IN AUSTRALIA: 1,285
New South Wales: 533
Western Australia: 90
South Australia: 67
Australian Capital Territory: 19
Northern Territory: 5
TOTAL CASES: 1,285
It comes as authorities urge Australians to take the federal government’s social distancing measures more seriously as the number of confirmed cases surges towards 1,100 across the the country.
Thousands of Sydneysiders ignored the government advice when they flocked to Bondi Beach on Friday.
The massive crowds forced the local council to close the iconic beach on Saturday.
Nearby Tamarama, Maroubra and Coogee beaches are also closed to the public.
‘If you are breaking these rules you are putting, not just yourself, but you are putting other Australians at risk,’ federal health minister Greg Hunt told reporters on Saturday.
NSW had recorded 83 new confirmed cases within 24 hours on Saturday with another 51 in Victoria.
The well respected cricket commentator (right) said he did ‘almost everything right’
‘For young people especially, this message isn’t penetrating and they’re not getting an understanding of what it means for the entire population,’ Victoria’s Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said.
‘Younger people don’t get such severe infections, but people in their 20s have died, people in their 30s and 40s are going to intensive care – somebody is dying every two minutes in Italy from coronavirus.
‘If you care about the people around you, if you think about protecting your family – your parents and your grandparents – then you have to think about making that distance between you and other people in all settings at all times whatever size.’
NSW health minister Brad Hazzard added: ‘The problem is just over the horizon, on the basis of the numbers that we’re now seeing’.
‘It’s a serious matter. Save yourself and save your family,’
Australians are urged to keep 1.5 metres away from each other. Pictured is a near-empty pub in Melbourne last week hours after the strict social distancing measures were announced