News, Culture & Society

Australia’s coronavirus death toll passes 200 as officials grapple with extending lockdown

Australia’s coronavirus death toll passes 200 as officials grapple with extending lockdown rules into draconian stage four measures

  • National COVID-19 toll has risen to 201 with three deaths in VIC and one in NSW
  • Experts are examining infection data from the first half of the Victoria lockdown 
  • Health officials are exploring whether Victoria well go in NZ style lockdown  
  • Victoria recorded 397 new coronavirus cases on Saturday and NSW recorded 17 

The national COVID-19 death toll has risen to 201 with three deaths in Victoria and one in NSW, as health officials weigh up whether stay-at-home orders in place across Melbourne and the Mitchell Shire are doing enough.

Victoria recorded 397 new cases on Saturday, significantly less than Thursday’s peak of 723, as well as the deaths of a man and woman in their 80s, and a woman in her 90s.

The state’s Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton on Friday confirmed a New Zealand-style lockdown was being explored – restrictions which saw all businesses closed except for essential services.

Experts are working over the weekend to analyse infection data from the first half of Victoria’s six-week lockdown.

The national COVID-19 toll has risen to 201 with three deaths in Victoria and one in NSW (pictured: A resident of Epping Gardens Aged Care Facility is taken away in a ambulance on July 28)

Victoria recorded 397 new cases on Saturday, significantly less than Thursday's peak of 723, and the deaths of a man and woman in their 80s, and a woman in her 90s (pictured: Victorian Premier Daniel Andews)

Victoria recorded 397 new cases on Saturday, significantly less than Thursday’s peak of 723, and the deaths of a man and woman in their 80s, and a woman in her 90s (pictured: Victorian Premier Daniel Andews)

Victorian Premier Dan Andrews on Saturday admitted further lockdown rules could prove a ‘circuit breaker’ for the continued COVID-19 cases, and that the state government is working through the details.

‘What we have at the moment are numbers that are too high of community transmission and that is a concern to us,’ Mr Andrews told reporters.

‘It is not a tap you can just turn on or off. They (further restrictions) are not decisions that would be taken lightly because there are significant costs … even minor changes have a significant cost.’

NSW on Saturday confirmed 17 new cases, sparking the closure of several Sydney venues for deep cleaning and contact tracing after being linked to coronavirus infections.

An 83-year-old man connected to the Crossroads Hotel outbreak in southwest Sydney on Saturday died, taking the NSW death toll to 52.

The state's Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton (pictured) on Friday confirmed a New Zealand-style lockdown was being explored - restrictions which saw all businesses closed except for essential services

The state’s Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton (pictured) on Friday confirmed a New Zealand-style lockdown was being explored – restrictions which saw all businesses closed except for essential services

Experts are working over the weekend to analyse infection data from the first half of Victoria's six-week lockdown (pictured: An empty Flinders Street Station in Melbourne during stage-three lockdowns)

Experts are working over the weekend to analyse infection data from the first half of Victoria’s six-week lockdown (pictured: An empty Flinders Street Station in Melbourne during stage-three lockdowns)

Queensland’s latest case of COVID-19 is a woman who may have been infectious while working at a Brisbane nursing home.

The facility at Pinjarra Hills in Brisbane’s west had already been put under lock down after the woman’s husband tested positive on Friday.

Queensland Health Minister Steven Miles said extra nurses had been provided to the facility, and all staff and the residents at the home were being tested.

Adelaide is set to receive 170 people on Saturday on a repatriation flight from India, with all going into hotel quarantine. Officials are expecting at least some to have COVID-19.

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.