News, Culture & Society

Barcelona should NOT have signed Antoine Griezmann, claims presidential candidate Victor Font

Barcelona should NOT have signed £108m forward Antoine Griezmann from Atletico Madrid, claims the club’s presidential candidate Victor Font

Barcelona’s presidential candidate Victor Font has slammed the club’s decision to sign Antoine Griezmann last year.

The France international joined Barcelona in the summer of 2019 for an eye-watering £108million, with plenty of expectation on his shoulders to provide the magic up top alongside Lionel Messi.

However, Griezmann has struggled to find his best form at the Nou Camp, and there have been suggestions that he has a fractured relationship with six-time Ballon d’Or winner Messi.

Barcelona presidential candidate Victor Font gave a damning verdict on Antoine Griezmann

And Font, who is running to take over from the much-maligned Josep Bartomeu when the presidential election takes place on January 24, has given his damning verdict on Griezmann.  

Font told Cadena Cope on Wednesday night: ‘Griezmann was a signing that shouldn’t have been made.’

If Font, who is the early favourite to win the January elections – according to ESPN Deportes – is successful in his presidential bid, there could be some frosty times ahead at the Nou Camp.

Griezmann has endured another tough start to the season with Barcelona, scoring just twice and producing only one assist in nine games in all competitions. 

Font’s verdict was one of a series of intriguing admissions on Wednesday as he spoke of his plans for presidency.

Font (right) said that Barcelona should never have signed Griezmann from Atletico Madrid

Font (right) said that Barcelona should never have signed Griezmann from Atletico Madrid

Font also once again talked up how Barcelona legend Xavi would be manager under his leadership, and would give him the power to reign on his own.

Font also said: ‘If Xavi asked me to sign Sergio Ramos and it was economically viable, I would sign him.’

If Font succeeds in becoming president, he has an almighty task on his hands in persuading Messi to remain at the Nou Camp.

Messi gave his strongest sign yet that he still wants to depart the Nou Camp, after insisting ‘I’m tired of always being the problem for everything.’

The presidential hopeful also outlined his plans to bring Barcelona legend Xavi back as boss

The presidential hopeful also outlined his plans to bring Barcelona legend Xavi back as boss

After touching down in Barcelona following his international duties with Argentina, Messi, who was on the brink of sensationally leaving last summer after becoming disillusioned with the club’s hierarchy, was mobbed by media at the airport about his delicate situation at the Nou Camp.

Messi, who also complained about being held up by tax inspectors following his 15-hour flight, was asked about the stinging comments from Antoine Griezmann’s former agent Eric Olhats – who claimed the Argentine has a ‘deplorable attitude’ and has overseen a ‘regime of terror’ at the Nou Camp. 

And Messi responded in a brief statement: ‘I’m tired of always being the problem for everything at the club.’ 

The Argentine then added: ‘I get here after a 15-hour flight and I find a tax agent here, it’s ridiculous.’ 

Lionel Messi told the media that he was 'tired of always being the problem' at Barcelona

Lionel Messi told the media that he was ‘tired of always being the problem’ at Barcelona 

Messi was linked with a sensational move to Manchester City last summer with a reunion with Pep Guardiola on the cards, but it failed to materialise after the club had blocked his transfer by insisting on demanding his astronomical release clause (£625m) was met.

But according to the Sun, City are ready to revive their interest in him sooner than planned by making a January transfer swoop for the Argentine.

The Premier League outfit are considering making an offer to sign Messi mid-season for a fee rather than waiting until he becomes a free agent next summer. 

The report states that a bid of possibly less than £50m may be enticing enough for the Spanish giants who are resigned to losing the six-time Ballon d’Or winner in just over seven months’ time as a free agent. Barca are currently fighting a debt of £440m. 



Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.