A CSPO or Certified Scrum Product Owner is the one who creates the vision of a product, manages the product backlog, and makes sure that the product being delivered to the customer is of the highest quality. In a way, CSPO is also a project’s key shareholder. They are the ones who let the Scrum team know what they are supposed to build and connect the needs of the customer and business with the developmental teams. A Scrum Product owner is a pivotal member of a Scrum team. They give life to the product a customer needs by understanding the needs of the customers.
Some of the major roles and responsibilities of a CSPO is to stay in touch with customers, refine the backlog that determines the priority of the product, work with users and stakeholders, attend Scrum meetings and collaborate with teams. The product owner makes a way for the Scrum team to work on products by motivating them with a clear and uplifting goal. A Scrum Product Owner is the one who is not only a leader but also a team player. Just as much they guide everyone on the developmental team, they also collaborate with others and rely on them.
A CSPO can be someone from the marketing team of an organization, or lead user of the system, the product manager, or anyone who understands the marketplace, the competition in it, and the future trends. However, a product owner must have some necessary skills such as creative thinking, facilitation, conflict management. They should also influence teams and stakeholders. The product owner is also responsible for communications. Their job requires working with key stakeholders, within the organization and out of it. So, it is important that they know how to communicate with different people and understand their needs.
What is a CSPO certification?
CSPO is a certification course that trains individuals to improve the value of a product by speeding up the delivery product features. They are taught to lead Scrum teams and effectively communicate with others to get the desired product and maximize project ROI. The CSPO course teaches you how to deliver the highest quality product to the customer on time and within the budget limit. A CSPO certificate ensures that the certified professional has knowledge of all the required tools and techniques that ensure the success of a project.
The accrediting body of the Certified Scrum Product Owner is the Scrum Alliance. Acquiring certification from the Scrum Alliance increases a person’s industry credibility as the certificate is recognized worldwide. It also increases the scope for career opportunities in all the industries that are adapting to Agile practices. Having a CSPO certificate also indicates that the certified professional understands the basics of Scrum and can collaborate with Scrum practitioners to continuously improve the organization’s delivery time.
Eligibility to apply for CSPO certification
There are no specific requirements for a person who wishes to apply for the Certified Scrum Product Owner course. It is an entry-level certification and anyone who desires to be a product owner can apply for the certification training program. You must attend a 2-day live CSPO training taught by a Certified Scrum Trainer (CST). In this course, you will get access to practical exercises and games to get an in-depth understanding of Scrum and your role as a Product Owner.
Once you sign up for the CSPO training program, you would be provided with the Scrum Guide. The training organization will review your performance during the training. After this, the CST would recommend your name to the Scrum Alliance. You will receive an email with a link to download your CSPO certificate. The certificate is valid for two years all around the world.
Benefits of a CSPO certification to your career
Having a CSPO certification has its own benefit that could be important for an individual to grow further in their careers. Here are some of the main reasons why one should opt to become a CSPO professional.
- Learning from Scrum masters: When a person goes through the training program for the CSPO, they are trained by Certified Scrum Trainers. It benefits the candidates extensively as they get to learn all the concepts of the scrum from scratch. So, whether you are a newbie or a professional, you can apply for the CSPO certification. The training will cover all cycles and roles in Scrum along with the Agile methodology and how it impacts the Scrum framework.
- Defining Product backlog: Product backlog is one of the most important responsibilities of a Product Owner. Since a PO does not interact with the team a lot, they have to get ahead of the backlog using the help of developers. You will learn how to do this during the CSPO training where you will work on several examples and real-life situations.
- Prioritizing backlog items: Another one of the benefits of having a CSPO certification is that it helps you recognize which product backlog should be given prioritization. A Product Owner is taught to keep the business goal and overall strategy in mind at every moment. They stay in constant touch with the customer and interact with the developer team to let them know which project should be given priority.
- Getting along with Agile practitioners: A CSPO knows exactly how to get along with an Agile practitioner. Agile practitioners have a different mindset than others. Through the training, you will be able to develop this mindset to get a better understanding of the client’s requirements.
- Expanding career: Having a CSPO is beneficial to an organization who is adapting to the Scrum framework. As many major organizations like Dell, Infosys, Cisco, PayPal, Mastercard, etc. are adopting the Agile approach, the scope of career growth for a CSPO certificate holder has significantly increased. Also, the certification is extremely valuable when one switches from one company to a better-paying one.
Having a CSPO certificate not only makes you a professional product owner but also opens avenues for the success of an organization. The certification offers huge scope for personal career growth with a bigger pay scale.