Boy, 3, grabs shotgun and kills himself inside Texas home

  • Tarrant County medical examiner’s office has identified the victim as three-year-old Jonnie Colon, of Fort Worth, Texas 
  • Jonnie’s family told police the toddler grabbed a shotgun and shot himself in the head in a back bedroom 
  • Homicide detectives are investigating the circumstances of the boy’s death
  • Jonnie’s mother was hospitalized after complaining of chest pains  

Detectives in Fort Worth, Texas, are investigating the death of a 3-year-old boy who shot himself in the head after somehow getting a hold of a shotgun. 

The Tarrant County medical examiner’s office identified the boy as Jonnie Colon, who passed away form his injury Wednesday night at a home northeast of downtown.

Police and paramedics responded to a home in the 3900 block of Lawnwood Street in east Fort Worth at 9.45pm after getting a 911 call about a shooting.


A family were getting ready for bed inside this home in east Fort Worth, Texas, when they say three-year-old Jonnie Colon grabbed a cousin’s shotgun and fired a round into his head 

First responders  found Jonnie dead in a back bedroom. Family members told investigators that he discovered the shotgun and accidentally shot himself.

The medical examiner’s office later said the toddler did not reside at the apartment complex where the shooting took place. There was no immediate word on what Jonnie was doing at the home.

Colon’s mother was transported to a hospital by ambulance after complaining of chest pains, as CBS DFW first reported.  

The boy’s aunt told NBC DFW that the family, which included adults and other children, were getting ready to turn in for the night when they heard the gunshot from the bedroom.

She also claimed the weapon belonged to Jonnie’s older cousin. 

Homicide detectives are now working to determine whether Jonnie shot himself, or whether someone else fired the gun.  

Heartbreak: Jonnie's mother  (pictured) was hospitalized after complaining of chest pains

Heartbreak: Jonnie’s mother  (pictured) was hospitalized after complaining of chest pains