Cop’s desperate act to try and save three-year-old boy who died after being left inside a hot car – as temperatures soared to 34C
- The child, three, was found dead in a hot car in Sydney
- Police had to break a window to reach the three-year-old
- The child had been in the throughout the day, cops heard
A three-year-old boy has died after being found in a hot car in Sydney’s southwest, where temperatures reached 34C.
It is understood officers had to smash a window to reach the child.
His distraught father found his son in the car about 3pm on Thursday on Railway Parade, Glenfield where it had been parked all day.
Footage from the scene showed distraught people on the ground near the car. One man was shown with his face in his hands as he sobbed.
Areas of Sydney recorded maximum temperatures above 30C on Thursday.
Campbelltown, near Glenfield, recorded a top of 33.9C at 4.51pm, according to Bureau of Meteorology data.
The boy’s father is being questioned by police over the incident.
‘Officers from Campbelltown City Police Area Command were told the child had been in the vehicle throughout the day,’ a NSW Police spokesperson said.
‘A crime scene has been established and an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident is underway.
‘The man has been taken to Campbelltown Police Station where he is assisting police.’
The young child, three, was found in a car outside a grocery store in Glenfield in Sydney’s south-west
Relatives of the child were seen breaking down at the scene as the child was declared dead
Relatives of the child were spotted breaking down at the scene of the tragic death
NSW Police confirmed the death as it was revealed officers had to smash a window to reach the child
Temperatures have been high in the Glenfield area recently and hit 34C in the suburb on Thursday
Child safety advocates Kidsafe claim more than 5000 children are rescued from hot cars in Australia every year – the majority being babies and toddlers.
‘Leaving children unattended in a car – even for a short period of time – can be fatal,’ reads information on Kidsafe’s website.
‘Children are particularly at risk because they can lose fluid quickly, become dehydrated and suffer from heatstroke.’
In December 2015, celebrity chef Matt Moran called media to a cooking demonstration at Sydney’s Bondi Beach where he’d prepared a piece of lamb using just the interior heat of a parked car.
‘This has been in there for a little over an hour and a half,’ said Mr Moran, slicing open the meat in a video of the demonstration, ‘that to me is overdone.’
Read more at DailyMail.co.uk