Vet issues desperate warning to pet owners this festive season and reveals why you should NEVER give your dog Christmas leftovers
- A veterinarian has issued an urgent warning to avoid giving leftovers to dogs
- Dr Naomi Lessels said fatty meats and chocolate should be particularly avoided
- She said that around Christmas time there is a surge in the number of cases
A vet has issued an urgent warning to pet owners this festive season about why they should avoid giving their animals leftovers.
Dr Naomi Lessels, from Brisbane, posted the warning to Facebook on boxing day after a dog died after he ate a slab of ham.
‘WARNING PLEASE DO NOT give DOGS HAM and other FATTY foods,’ Dr Lesels wrote.
She said that these foods high in fat can cause dogs to develop pancreatitis, which can be fatal.
A vet has issued an urgent warning to pet owners this festive season about why they should avoid giving their animals leftovers (stock image)
Dr Naomi Lessels posted this picture online showing spun down blood of a dog with pancreatitis (left) and a dog with normal blood (right)
Dr Lessels said she treated a dog on boxing day that had been given a slab of ham skin to eat which caused the dog to become critically ill and pass away.
The Brisbane-based vet also posted pictures of the dog’s serum once its blood was spun down that was a milky colour when it should be white.
‘The green tubes show the Milky white fat present and normal looking plasma is on the right.
‘Pancreatitis presents with vomiting, salivating, depression and abdominal pain, seek prompt veterinary advice if your dog is sick,’ Dr Lessels warned.
She also added that she sees pets who have developed this condition every year around Christmas time.
In addition to ham, other foods that should not be given to dogs includes steaks, sausage rolls and meat pies, which all contain large amounts of fats, according to the Australian Veterinary Association.
Leftover beef or chicken kebabs should also be avoided as the dog is also likely to eat the sharp wooden skewer.
Chocolate should also be avoided as the Theobromine can cause seizures and the fat can cause pancreatitis.
Dr Lessels said the milky coloured substance in the blood is fat lipids which can should not be in the blood sample