Butternut and kidney bean quesadilla
A very popular recipe in my house. It is so simple to throw together, packed with veggie goodness and a great finger food.
MAKES 1 ADULT AND 1 CHILD PORTION
Place the quesadilla on a plate or board then cut into triangles to serve
100g frozen, cubed butternut squash
1 tbsp water
2 tsp coconut oil
2 spring onions, finely sliced
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp garlic granules
210g tin kidney beans, rinsed, drained and roughly chopped
juice of ½ lime
handful of coriander, leaves and stems, chopped
2 flour tortillas
50g cheddar, grated
- Place the butternut and water in a microwaveable bowl and cover with a plate. Microwave on full power for 5 minutes, then check to see if the butternut is tender and cooked through. If not, cover and microwave for a further 1 minute, repeating until the squash is soft.
- Melt the coconut oil in a large nonstick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the spring onions, spices, garlic granules, kidney beans and butternut squash and mash everything together. Cook for 2-3 minutes to meld the flavours. Add the lime juice and coriander then remove from the pan and put to one side.
- Wipe the frying pan clean then put it back on the hob and place a tortilla in it. Sprinkle over the grated cheese then spread over the butternut squash mixture. Top with the second tortilla, squashing everything down firmly with the palm of your hand.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes before flipping and cooking for a further 1-2 minutes, or until golden brown on each side.
- Place the quesadilla on a plate or board then cut into triangles to serve.