A California city has voted to clear out and ban homeless encampment tents as several have flood sidewalks in the area.
Culver City officials voted three to two on Monday to bar tents and other structures, when more housing models for the homeless become available, including a Project Room Key site and a designated homeless area at Virginia Parking Lot.
Dan O’Brien, Culver City Councilman, claimed officials needed to quickly take action as the neighboring City of Los Angeles’ Mayor Karen Bass pledged last year to get over 17,000 homeless people into housing in her first year through a mix of interim and permanent facilities.
‘A fear of mine is if we don’t have all the tools in place to help our own unhoused and Los Angeles already have the enforcement along our borders, then those who refuse housing will just cross the street into Culver City, and then further strain our resources,’ O’Brien told The Los Angeles Times.
The ordinance, which has no enforcement date, allows homeless people remain on the streets with only sleeping bags and blankets. Culver City is one of Los Angeles County’s 88 cities.
Culver City officials voted 3 to 2 on Monday to bar tents and other structures starting when more housing models for the homeless become available. Pictured: homeless man Roscoe Billy Ray Bradley Jr
The ordinance, which has no enforcement date, allows homeless people remain on the streets with only sleeping bags and blankets.
Culver City’s new law is intended to get more people off the street, especially those who need the extra push.
When the ordinance goes into effect, residents will be able to call police on those who refuse to go to the city’s many housing options, according O’Brien.
‘The desire on our part is that this ordinance will help give them that little extra push to accept the housing and services that we are offering,’ he told the news outlet.
Dan O’Brien, Culver City Councilman, claimed officials needed to quickly take action before the streets become more over flooded by tents
Opposing officials argued the ordinance would displace the homeless who prefer to live outdoors.
‘I am very disappointed,’ councilwoman Yasmin-Imani McMorrin told NBC news. ‘I feel this is an incredibly harmful policy that doesn’t add anything other than punitive measures.’
A homeless man, who has lived on the streets for nearly a decade, also expressed his disappointment, arguing he will not easily budge.
‘They can’t take my tent,’ Roscoe Billy Ray Bradley Jr. told the news outlet. ‘That’s my personal property. I’m not going anywhere.’
Bradley Jr. was seen in photos obtained by the news outlet standing nearby his tent after sweeping around it.
While councilman O’Brien wanted to halt Los Angeles City’s homeless population from moving into the neighborhood, some have already settled in.
Walter Lindsey recently moved onto a Culver City sidewalk after ditching Los Angeles County’s massive homeless population on Skid Row.
Lindsey told the news outlet that he prefers the Culver City over downtown Los Angeles but doesn’t plan on becoming too comfortable.
‘I guess I gotta prepare,’ Lindsey said in response to learning about the ordinance.
The ordinance will go into effect when about 100 beds are made available through various programs in the city.
Councilwoman Yasmin-Imani McMorrin expressed her disappointment in the decision
When the ordinance goes into effect, residents will be able to call police on those who refuse to go to the city’s many housing options
A homeless woman was seen sitting under the 405 freeway bridge over Venice Bouldevard in Culver City
A line of tents was seen under the 405 freeway in Culver City as several prepare to either rid of their tents or move elsewhere
As the homelessness crisis worsens, Los Angeles Mayor Bass declared a state of emergency less than 24 hours after taking office last year.
At the time, Bass said she is ‘using the emergency order is our ability to fast-track things.’
She also added ‘My mandate is to move Los Angeles in a new direction with an urgent and strategic approach to solving one of our city’s toughest challenges and creating a brighter future for every Angeleno.’
Bass plans to build some 3,000 new units and allocate funding to buy out motels and apartments for homeless individuals and veterans. She will also seek to lease out entire buildings in which to house homeless people.
The declaration — which is scheduled to last six months — allows Bass to take more aggressive executive actions to confront the crisis, though the City Council will have to sign off on it every 30 days.
In total, there are around 100,000 unhoused people in California. With other high concentrations in the northern part of the state in cities such as San Francisco where nearly 8,000 people are sleeping on the streets.
Homelessness is hugely visible throughout California with people living in tents and cars and sleeping outdoors on sidewalks and under highway overpasses.
Los Angeles’ Mayor Karen Bass pledged last year to get over 17,000 homeless people into housing in her first year through a mix of interim and permanent facilities. She declared a state of emergency on his first day in office
Read more at DailyMail.co.uk