News, Culture & Society

Candle in the wind burns down entire house on Caldwell Street in Merewether, Newcastle, NSW

Simple mistake that caused an entire house to burn down – as firefighters issue an urgent warning that every Aussie homeowner needs to read

  • An unattended candle has blown over completely destroying a Newcastle home 
  • The residents scrambled to safety in the backyard as the house went up in flames
  • Fire and Rescue NSW rescued the occupants but were unable to save the home 

A candle left burning on a verandah was blown over by the wind causing a home on NSW’s east-coast to be burnt down. 

On Sunday just after 8.30am three people were forced to scramble to their backyard after a candle they left burning unattended was blown over with the wick setting alight a nearby couch. 

The home on Caldwell Street, Merewether, NSW, was ablaze in minutes with seven fire trucks called to the scene in an attempt to control the blaze. 

A candle left burning on a verandah was blown over by the wind causing a home to be burnt down (pictured)

The home on Caldwell Street, Merewether, NSW, was ablaze in minutes with seven fire trucks called to the scene in to attempt to control the blaze, with the three people inside seeking refuge in their backyard and had to be led to safety by firefighters

The home on Caldwell Street, Merewether, NSW, was ablaze in minutes with seven fire trucks called to the scene in to attempt to control the blaze, with the three people inside seeking refuge in their backyard and had to be led to safety by firefighters

Fire and Rescue NSW say the candle was blown over by the wind setting fire to a couch and the blaze quickly spread to the kitchen and loungeroom. 

Once on scene Fire and Rescue NSW crews were able to rescue the family from their backyard and get the fire under control in just under an hour. 

However, the damage had been done, with the single story dwelling completely destroyed by the ferocious fire. 

While smoke alarms alerted the residents to the fire, Fire and Rescue NSW appealed to the public to ensure all their smoke alarms are working.

NSW firefighters are able to inspect any home, identify fire threats and install smoke alarms free of charge.

Blown over by the wind, the candle set fire to a couch and the blaze quickly spread to the kitchen and loungeroom

Blown over by the wind, the candle set fire to a couch and the blaze quickly spread to the kitchen and loungeroom

***
Read more at DailyMail.co.uk