Cash Gernon murder suspect Darriyn Brown ‘tried to snatch a two-year-old girl from her grandfather’s home in February’ – but he didn’t call police
- On February 8, Brown walked into the home of a man in Dallas and started going through the rooms, opening closets, it is alleged
- The homeowner chased him out, telling him he’d stab him with a kitchen knife, according to an affidavit
- Brown then returned to the house, beat up the man and snatched his sleeping two-year-old granddaughter
- The grandfather got back on his feet in time to catch up with them and grab the girl back
- Days later, he ran into Brown in Walmart and Brown said: ‘Sorry for trying to take your grandchild’
- It’s unclear if they knew each other but the homeowner didn’t press charges
- Cash Gernon was kidnapped by Brown on May 15 from another home
- Brown stabbed him repeatedly and dumped his body
- Now, Brown has been charged for injury to a child, elderly individual, or disabled individual and burglary
Cash Gernon murder suspect Darriyn Brown allegedly tried to snatch another toddler, a two-year-old girl, in February but her grandfather intervened and stopped him.
The harrowing new detail emerged in an arrest affidavit released by police on Friday. The grandfather and the girl are not named. Police describe how Brown walked into the home and started roaming the rooms.
The grandfather says he found Brown and told him to leave or he would stab him with a kitchen knife, so he fled. Brown then returned and attacked the grandfather, then snatched the girl from her room and started walking out of the house, it is alleged.
The grandfather says he got back on his feet, caught up with them and grabbed her back. Brown fled.
It’s unclear if they knew each other or how Brown got into the home or even targeted it but the grandfather, initially, chose not to press charges or even notify the cops.
Neighbors say they did call the cops on Brown for trying to break into cars in the area, but nothing was done.
On May 15, Darriyn Brown kidnapped and allegedly killed four-year-old Cash Gernon in Dallas, Texas. Months earlier, he allegedly tried to kidnap a two-year-old girl but her grandfather stopped it. He didn’t call the policed
This harrowing video exclusively obtained by DailyMail.com earlier this month shows the moment Brown snatched Cash from his bed
Days after the incident, he ran into Brown in Walmart and Brown said: ‘Sorry for trying to take your grandchild’
On May 18 – three days after Cash was taken – the grandfather changed his mind and met with detectives to tell them he wanted to press charges.
Now, Brown has been charged with injury to a child, elderly individual, or disabled individual and burglary over that incident.
Prosecutors have not yet filed murder charges against him but that is likely to happen when they receive the results of a forensic autopsy.
Cash was staying with his father’s ex-girlfriend, Monica Sherrod, when he was kidnapped.
His twin brother Carter was asleep in the bed with him but was not taken.
The boys’ father, Trevor, had left Dallas after being charged with felony drug possession.
A neighbor of slain 4-year-old Cash Gernon says he captured Darriynn Brown on surveillance footage trying to break into cars in his driveway a month before the boy was killed
The neighbor and others who say they saw a man matching Brown’s description to police ‘several times’ but there was no follow-up. In the image above, Brown is seen casing the Gernon home weeks before his death