News, Culture & Society

Christian Porter: ABC boss admits $100,000 paid in ‘mediation costs’

The ABC paid Christian Porter’s legal team $100,000 in ‘mediation and related costs’, a court heard 

The ABC agreed to pay Christian Porter’s lawyers the secret sum of $100,000 in mediation costs to settle their defamation case, a parliamentary committee has heard. 

The public broadcaster’s managing director David Anderson disclosed the six-figure payment during a Senate Estimates hearing on Monday. 

Mr Anderson said the two sides had agreed that ‘the ABC will pay to (Porter’s lawyers) Company Giles the sum of $100,000, in respect to mediation and related costs.’

The exact amount paid over for mediation had been kept confidential, however the parties agreed it could be disclosed to the Parliament. 

The revelation comes amid a public relations battle over a February article which revealed a historical rape allegation had been made against a senior minister – which Mr Porter later furiously denied.

The ABC boss confirmed the national broadcaster had agreed not to pay Mr Porter damages over the article and that it stands by its journalism. 

However, broadcaster added an editor’s note to the article, which said that it ‘regretted’ it had been misinterpreted by some readers as making an accusation of guilt against Mr Porter.  

ABC managing director David Anderson disclosed the previously secret sum to a parliamentary inquiry on Monday morning

ABC managing director David Anderson disclosed the previously secret sum to a parliamentary inquiry on Monday morning

The ABC added an editor's note to the end of Louise Milligan's February 26 article as part of the settlement - but it will not take the report down or pay Mr Porter damages

The ABC added an editor’s note to the end of Louise Milligan’s February 26 article as part of the settlement – but it will not take the report down or pay Mr Porter damages 

Four Corners executive producer Sally Neighbour deleted a tweet announcing the settlement last week which said: ‘BREAKING NOW! Christian Porter is dropping his defamation case against the ABC. No money was paid. We stand by our stories. #4 Corners #auspol.’

Some 15 minutes later, she posted an amended version, which removed the assertion that no money had been paid. ‘BREAKING NOW! Christian Porter is dropping his defamation case against the ABC. No damages were paid. We stand by our stories’, she said. 

The court document is presently redacted

The court document is presently redacted

While Mr Porter has dropped the main part of the defamation battle, the fight over whether an ABC defence document will be made public continues. 

Mr Porter and the ABC agreed a redacted, 27 page document could be purged from the court file as part of their settlement. Mr Porter’s lawyer has described the document as ‘scandalous’. 

Federal Court Justice Jayne Jagot last week said she was concerned by the proposed order, saying it was essentially a permanent suppression order,  

Media outlets will oppose the order, the court heard, and Justice Jagot said: ‘It’s not a matter for simply the parties to agree.’ 

That will go to hearing on July 9.  

Attorney-General Christian Porter (pictured denying rape allegations in a tearful presser) sued the ABC for publishing an article online accusing him of raping a debating teammate in 1988

Attorney-General Christian Porter (pictured denying rape allegations in a tearful presser) sued the ABC for publishing an article online accusing him of raping a debating teammate in 1988

Mr Porter filed a case against the ABC and journalist Ms Milligan in March, claiming he was the victim of a malicious ‘trial by media’ regarding denied allegations that he raped his 16-year-old female debating teammate in Sydney 1988, when he was 17.

The former attorney-general was not named as the alleged rapist in the ABC report published, but later outed himself as the senior minister accused of the crime in a tearful media conference. 

His lawyers claimed ‘many Australians’ could have figured out the story was about him and challenged the ABC to prove the allegations are true in the Federal Court. But following mediation, Mr Porter decided to drop the case. 

He was not paid any damages fee but the ABC was required to update its article with an editors’ note expressing ‘regret’ that readers may have thought the minister was guilty.

Mr Porter claimed victory and said the ABC had been forced in to a ‘humiliating backdown’ – however, the national broadcaster said it ‘stands by the importance of the article’.

The ABC’s editor’s note said: ‘On 26 February 2021, the ABC published an article by Louise Milligan. That article was about a letter to the Prime Minister containing allegations against a senior cabinet minister. Although he was not named, the article was about the Attorney-General Christian Porter.

‘The ABC did not intend to suggest that Mr Porter had committed the criminal offences alleged. 

‘The ABC did not contend that the serious accusations could be substantiated to the applicable legal standard – criminal or civil. 

Mr Porter said on Monday that he didn’t think the article should ‘have ever been printed and published in the way that it was. 
 

Christian Porter (pictured during a debate when he was a schoolboy) said the alleged rape 'just didn't happen'

Christian Porter (pictured during a debate when he was a schoolboy) said the alleged rape ‘just didn’t happen’

The rape allegation: A timeline 

1988: Debating competition in Sydney at which woman later alleges she was raped

2013: Woman tells sexual assault counsellor about her allegation 

Late 2019: Woman engages lawyers and prepares a statement

February 2020: Woman reports allegations to NSW Police

March 2020: Police postpone trip to visit her due to Covid-19 

June 2020: Woman withdraws allegation and dies by suicide

February 24, 2021: Anonymous letter is sent to PM detailing allegations

March 1, 2021: PM says minister completely rejects the allegations

March 2, 2021: NSW Police close the case

March 3, 2021: Christian Porter goes public to deny allegation

March 15, 2021: Mr Porter sues the ABC for defamation

May 31, 2021: Mr Porter drops his case 

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk