Conor McGregor is ‘on the verge of signing plea deal that will spare him jail and being banned from the US’ for attacking rival fighter’s bus
- McGregor, 30, was facing up to seven years imprisonment for felony mischief
- Now, prosecutors are reportedly willing to reduce the charge to a misdemeanor
- It will mean McGregor will not be banned from the US where he has had lucrative opportunities in the past
- On April 6, he threw a metal dolly at a rival fighter’s bus at the Barclay’s Center
Conor McGregor is on the verge of a plea deal which will see him avoid jail, according to sources. He is pictured on June 14 when he appeared before a judge in Brooklyn
Conor McGregor is said to be on the verge of striking a plea deal which means he avoids prison time and will not be permanently banned from the US for attacking a rival fighter’s bus earlier this year.
TMZ reports that the Irishman is in the final stages of negotiating the deal with prosecutors in New York City who are prepared to reduce his felony criminal mischief charge to a misdemeanor.
McGregor was facing up to seven years imprisonment for the charges – felony criminal mischief and three counts of misdemeanor assault.
In April, the 30-year-old was filmed hurling a steel dolly at the bus of rival fighter Khabib Nurmagomedov.
It shattered the windows of the bus and bloodied some of the men on board.
Nurmagomedov was at odds with McGregor’s friend Artem Lobov.
McGregor flew over from Ireland to support Lobov but it also coincided with him being stripped off his lightweight belt.
He had failed to defend it, as is required by UFC, since claiming it in 2016 and instead spent all of 2017 preparing for a lucrative, circus-like showdown with Floyd Mayweather in Las Vegas.
On April 6, McGregor was filmed throwing a metal dolly at a rival fighter’s tour bus in Brooklyn
McGregor was not fighting at the time but flew to New York a day before attacking the group
On April 6, Nurmagomedov was leaving the Barclay’s Center in Brooklyn with his posse when McGregor and his entourage charged at their bus.
McGregor was filmed picking up the dolly and throwing it at the bus, screaming as he did so.
He spent the night in jail then posted bond and was allowed to fly back to Ireland to await his next court date.
When he returned to the US in June, he appeared before a judge and said he regretted his actions.
McGregor is due back in court in New York City on Thursday.
Last week, his long-term partner Dee Devlin announce that she was pregnant with their second child.
The pair are already parents to one-year-old Conor Junior.
The fighter is pictured in April after spending a night in jail. He later said he ‘regretted’ his actions but he has not apologized