News, Culture & Society

Cristiano Ronaldo breaks silence over explosive interview after impromptu press conference

Cristiano Ronaldo finally addresses his Piers Morgan interview and insists he WON’T be silenced as he makes an unscheduled appearance at Portugal’s press conference to beg the media to STOP asking his team-mates about it

Cristiano Ronaldo shocked reporters at the World Cup after he made an unexpected appearance at a press conference. 

The forward – hoping to lead his country to glory in Qatar – defended his infamous Manchester United interview with Piers Morgan, in which he levelled numerous allegations and accusations at his club. 

His interview has dominated the media, but he was quick to ask for the world’s press to stop asking his team-mates about it as he looks to focus on the World Cup. 

Cristiano Ronaldo has asked the media to stop asking his Portugal team-mates about his infamous interview

Ronaldo's interview with Piers Morgan has seemingly burned all his bridges at Manchester United

Ronaldo’s interview with Piers Morgan has seemingly burned all his bridges at Manchester United

‘Timing is always timing,’ he said in his unscheduled appearance on Monday morning. ‘From your side it is easy to look at how we can chose timings. 

‘Sometimes you write truths, sometimes you write lies. I don’t have to worry what others think. 

‘I talk when I want to. Everybody knows who I am, what I believe in.’

The 37-year-old also described himself as ‘bullet proof’ and ‘iron clad’.

Portugal's World Cup campaign kicks off on Thursday against Ghana in Group H

Portugal’s World Cup campaign kicks off on Thursday against Ghana in Group H

Portugal’s World Cup campaign does not kick-off until Thursday, when they take on Ghana in Group H, but much of the build up has involved speculation on Ronaldo’s club future, rather than his national team’s prospects. 

Footage of Ronaldo greeting Bruno Fernandes went viral

Footage of Ronaldo greeting Bruno Fernandes went viral

Many pointed to an apparently frosty greeting with United colleague Bruno Fernandes on his arrival at Portugal’s training camp as signs of friction within the training camp.

This particular incident was also covered by Ronaldo on his impromptu showing, and he explained: ‘His plane was late – I asked him did you come by boat’.

Fernandes – United’s primary captain this season – also denied there was any rift within the national team, adding: ‘I didn’t read the interview, so I’m okay with that. As I said before, now [it] is [the] national team, [it] is Portugal.

‘I said to him, the coach made a point that it’s “us”, so he made that point since I came to the national team in 2017 I think, and that is still clear in his mind.

‘The main thing here is the national team, and us, so we have to be focused on the World Cup because the World Cup doesn’t come every time, you don’t have a chance to play a World Cup many times.

‘Cristiano is lucky to play it five times, this will be his fifth time in the World Cup, so everyone is ready for that and everyone wants to give the best for the team.’

Ronaldo dismissed speculation of any rift in the national side, which Fernandes has echoed

Ronaldo dismissed speculation of any rift in the national side, which Fernandes has echoed

The five-time Ballon d’Or winner is aiming to add the World Cup to his already glittering array of honours, having won the Euros with his country in 2016 and likely featuring in his last tournament for his country.  

It is the first time the 37-year-old has openly spoken about the interview – which aired in parts on Wednesday and Thursday last week.

It has also been reported by Sportsmail that United have begun the legal process of tearing up his £500,000-a-week contract at the club with the intention of not paying him a penny of the £16million he would earn before the end of June 2023. 

This comes after his claims that the club has ‘betrayed’ him, and he admitted to having no respect for manager Erik ten Hag before criticising the already-unpopular owners the Glazer Family.  

The 37-year-old criticised Erik ten Hag and the Glazer family as well as saying he was 'betrayed' by the club

The 37-year-old criticised Erik ten Hag and the Glazer family as well as saying he was ‘betrayed’ by the club



***
Read more at DailyMail.co.uk