Cristiano Ronaldo is NOT a target for Bayern Munich, insists sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic – despite Man United star’s agent Jorge Mendes enquiring about a move should Robert Lewandowski leave for Barcelona
- Bayern Munich have shut down reports linking Cristiano Ronaldo to the club
- Jeorge Mendes contacted Bayern about move should Robert Lewandowski leave
- But the German Champions are content with the recent signing of Sadio Mane
- Ronaldo is said to be unhappy about Man United’s lack of transfer activity so far
Bayern Munich say they are not pursuing a move for Manchester United’s Cristiano Ronaldo amid reports he had been offered to the Bundesliga champions.
The star forward returned to Old Trafford last summer, 13 years after leaving for Real Madrid for a then-world record fee, but it did not prove to be the glorious homecoming he had hoped.
Ronaldo scored 24 goals in 38 games in all competitions but the team struggled to a sixth-placed Premier League finish amid criticisms of his impact on their pressing abilities and general cohesion.
A number of recent reports suggested Bayern Munich may make a move for Cristiano Ronaldo
Bayern Munich sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic has however shut down the rumours
A number of recent reports suggested Bayern could make a move for the Portugal international but the club insist those reports are wide of the mark.
Quizzed wither Ronaldo was a target for Bayern, sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic told Sky Germany: ‘Cristiano Ronaldo is a top player with an outstanding career. However, the rumour that is circulating is a rumour that has no truth in it.’
Bayern sources say that Ronaldo’s agent had sounded out the German champions to see if there was an interest in the 37-year-old should Robert Lewandowski leave for Barcelona.
Bayern Munich have already bolstered their attack this summer with the singing of Sadio Mane
However, Bayern are content with the signing of Sadio Mane from Liverpool and have other, younger options they are considering should Robert Lewandowski depart.
Coach Julian Nagelsmann also wants players who can press from the front while Ronaldo’s salary would also compromise Bayern’s wage structure.
Ronaldo is said to be unhappy about United’s lack of activity in the transfer market having missed out on a number of targets already.
Ronaldo is said to be frustrated over Manchester United’s lack of transfer activity so far
Darwin Nunez joined Liverpool, Barcelona are holding out over Frenkie de Jong, as are Ajax over Antony, and Jurrien Timber was warned off leaving the Dutch champions for United by Holland manager and ex-Red Devils boss Louis van Gaal.
New boss Erik Ten Hag was also reportedly interested in Yves Bissouma , who joined Spurs, and was turned down by Derby youngster Malcolm Ebiowei in favour of Crystal Palace .
United players due back at Carrington on Monday include: David De Gea, Tom Heaton, Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Victor Lindelof, Eric Bailly, Phil Jones, Axel Tuanzebe, Brandon Williams, Luke Shaw, Donny van de Beek, Amad Diallo, Jadon Sancho, Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford