Cruises stuck in port amid Covid storm: P&O and Carnival forced to delay and cancel more voyages
Cruise companies P&O and Carnival have delayed and cancelled more voyages as the industry struggles to restart.
P&O, the UK’s largest cruise line, said it would have to scrap any trips until mid- November because the Foreign and Commonwealth Office is still advising people to avoid cruises.
It had been due to restart on October 15, and has suspended two trips with much longer routes due to start in January.
Scuppered: P&O Cruises said it would have to scrap any trips until mid-November because the Foreign and Commonwealth Office is still advising people to avoid cruise holidays
Customers will be sent credit that can be worth 125 per cent of the value of their cancelled holiday, and can request a cash refund.
Cruise firms are desperate to line up bookings but the hefty price tags mean they face an uphill struggle.
London- listed Carnival said the first voyages on its Aida Cruises brand were being pushed back to September.
Its ships were an early hotbed for the disease. Elsewhere Heathrow Airport warned that the quarantine rules are ‘strangling the economy’.
Passenger numbers were down 89 per cent last month to around 867,000 compared with 7.8m in July 2019. Heathrow Airport chief executive John Holland-Kaye said:
‘Tens of thousands of jobs are being lost because Britain remains cut off from critical markets such as the US, Canada and Singapore.
‘The Government can save jobs by introducing testing to cut quarantine from higher risk countries, while keeping the public safe.’