Disgraced NRL star Ben Barba is charged with two public nuisance offences after handing himself in to police ‘following assault on his partner at a casino’
- Troubled NRL star Ben Barba handed himself in to police on Tuesday
- He was charged with two public nuisance offences and handed a nightclub ban
- He was embroiled in controversy after allegedly pelting his partner with rocks
- Ainslie Currie didn’t make formal complaint, so he won’t be charged with assault
- He was dumped by the NRL after the allegations and says he’s ‘lost everything’
Disgraced NRL star Ben Barba has been charged with two public nuisance offences after handing himself in to police on Tuesday.
The fullback was sacked by the North Queensland Cowboys NRL team last month after being caught on CCTV allegedly throwing rocks at his girlfriend Ainslie Currie outside a casino in Townsville.
Barba was not charged with assault because Ms Currie refused to make a formal complaint.
He was handed a three-month ban from Townsville’s nighclub district, according to 9News.
Troubled NRL star Ben Barba has been charged with two public nuisance offences after an alleged incident with his partner Ainslie Currie (pictured together)
On Monday, the 29-year-old threatened to ‘hurt’ a reporter after being confronted outside the metalworking factory where he is now employed.
Daily Mail Australia first revealed Barba had taken a job as a $20-an-hour metalworker last month after losing his $300,000-a-year contract with the North Queensland Cowboys.
‘I will hurt you. Do you want me to hurt you?’ he shouted at the Nine News reporter outside the Statewide Sales and Service factory.
‘I’m about to be charged with nothing (but) I don’t feel lucky. I’ve lost everything.’
The 29-year-old’s fit of rage (pictured) is the first time the father-of-four has spoken publicly since being dumped from the NRL for allegedly assaulting his partner outside a casino in Townsville on Australia Day
Barba said he was going to hand himself in to police on Tuesday, more than a month after the alleged fight with partner Ms Currie, who is also the mother of his children.
Ms Currie, who has stood by the troubled ex-player through several off-field controversies, didn’t file a complaint to police over the incident.
Queenland Police are reportedly ‘disappointed’ with her decision, according to Nine News.
After the alleged incident Ms Currie begged the NRL not to sack Barba, claiming it would cause financial hardship to their family.
But after viewing the CCTV footage of the alleged incident, the North Queensland Cowboys tore up his contract.
Barba (pictured) says he has ‘lost everything’ after he was dropped from the NRL
Barba (pictured) said he was going to hand himself in to police on Tuesday, more than a month after the alleged fight with partner Ainslie Currie, who is also the mother of his children
NRL boss Todd Greenberg also handed Barba a life ban from the league and suggested he ‘find a new vocation’.
Footage allegedly captured Barba throwing rocks at his partner at the front of the casino.
The strain of the former Dally M Player of the Year award recipient’s fall from the top was apparent during his emotional confrontation on Monday.
Barba said he had ‘lost everything’ in the wake of the alleged assault.
After trading his lucrative contract for a $39,000-a-year income, the family was forced to move in with the 29-year-old’s parents in their housing commission home.
The former Dally M Player of the Year award recipient said he would be ‘charged with nothing’
Sorry we are not currently accepting comments on this article.