At least 100 Palestinian men have been pictured stripped to their underwear, bound and lined up on their knees, after reportedly being captured by Israeli soldiers in northern Gaza.
Shocking footage shared by Israeli media appears to show Israel Defence Forces (IDF) troops rounding up scores of men and transporting them on the back of trucks.
The men allegedly surrendered in the Jabalia refugee camp and other areas around northern Gaza, with Israeli outlet Walla saying they were stripped ‘to rule out the possibility that they were carrying weapons’.
Dozens of captives are reported to have been paraded through Palestine Square in Gaza City, with shoes and sandals strewn across the street in one image as the men were publicly humiliated.
When asked about the images, IDF spokesman Rear Admiral Daniel Hagari seemed to confirm that the men had been taken prisoner but did not clarify whether those pictured were members of Hamas or civilians.
Footage shared by Israeli media appears to show Israel Defence Forces (IDF) troops rounding up scores of men and transporting them on the back of trucks
One image shows scores of Palestinian men stripped down to their underwear as Israeli soldiers stand guard
Israeli military spokesman Daniel Hagari said Israeli troops have detained and interrogated hundreds of people in Gaza suspected of militant links.
Hagari told reporters: ‘Jabalia and Shejaiya are ‘centers of gravity’… for terrorists, and we are fighting them.
‘They are hiding underground and come out and we fight them. Whoever is left in those areas, they come out from tunnel shafts, and some from buildings, and we investigate who is linked to Hamas, and who isn’t. We arrest them all and interrogate them.’
Walla reported on Wednesday afternoon that Israeli soldiers from the 261st Reserve Brigade had arrested and were ‘investigating’ those pictured.
The news site reported that those arrested were not expected to be moved to Israel but investigated in Gaza ‘since there is a likelihood that the suspects are innocent people living in a humanitarian shelter in the vicinity’.
There have been unconfirmed reports that the men were captured from UN-run schools in the north of the territory.
The Al-Araby Al-Jadeed news outlet said its correspondent Diaa Al-Kahlout was among those detained and had been taken to an unknown location.
The images were the first showing such detentions in the Israeli-Hamas war.
After weeks of the war raging in the north, the Israeli army is increasingly targeting southern Gaza, including areas it had previously urged civilians to evacuate from the north to.
A picture taken in southern Israel near the border with the Gaza Strip on December 7, 2023
Smoke rises following an Israeli airstrike on Gaza as the IDF continues its offensive in southern Gaza
The Israeli military shared a video and surveillance pictures (pictured above) on X today and wrote: ‘Yesterday, at 15:59, Hamas terrorists launched 12 rockets towards Beer-Sheva’
Israel alleged today that Hamas had been seen launching rockets from humanitarian areas in southern Gaza.
The Israeli military shared a video and surveillance pictures on X today and wrote: ‘Yesterday, at 15:59, Hamas terrorists launched 12 rockets towards Beer-Sheva.
‘The rockets were launched near the tents of Gazan citizens who were evacuated to the south of the Gaza Strip for their protection and near the UN facilities.’
As part of the post, the IDF shared pictures they said documented the launch site near tents of civilians evacuated from Gazan cities.
‘Yesterday at 12:52, Hamas launched a rocket from the humanitarian zone. The rocket landed in the Gaza Strip and put many Gazan citizens at risk,’ the IDF added.
This comes as the Israeli military has been widening its offensive in southern Gaza, which worsened the dire humanitarian conditions in the area.
An Israeli army self-propelled artillery howitzer fires rounds from a position near the border with the Gaza Strip
The IDF hit Rafah twice overnight according to residents, as United Nations officials warned that there are no safe places left in the besieged territory.
United Nations officials say there are no safe places in Gaza nearly a week after Israel widened its offensive into the southern half of the territory.
Heavy fighting in and around the city of Khan Younis, where Israel has said Hamas leaders have strongholds, has displaced tens of thousands of people and cut most of Gaza off from aid deliveries.
More than 80 per cent of the territory’s population has already fled their homes.
Two months into the war, the grinding offensive has triggered renewed international alarm. U.N Secretary-General Antonio Guterres used a rarely exercised power to warn the Security Council of an impending ‘humanitarian catastrophe’ in Gaza and urged members to demand a cease-fire.
Gutteres explicitly cited Article 99 of the U.N. Charter, which allows the secretary-general to bring to the council’s attention any matter which he believes threatens international peace and security.
The power has only been used a handful of times in the history of the world body.