Driver jailed 20 months for driving high on cocaine

Jon Crowe drove at twice the speed limit to prevent a BMW from overtaking him

A driver left an 80-year-old woman seriously injured by trying to prevent a fellow motorist in a BMW from overtaking him. 

Jon Crowe reached speeds of up to 60mph on a 30mph road in his VW Golf as he made a determined effort to stop the other car getting past him.

But as he ‘raced’ the other car while under the influence of cocaine, he lost control and crashed into a Vauxhall Corsa being driven by the pensioner.

A court heard her car was pushed up an embankment then rolled back down and she had to be cut free from the wreckage.

She was left with a broken wrist and finger, two fractured ribs and bleeding on the brain.

Now Crowe, 27, from Prudhoe, Northumberland, has been jailed for 20 months for causing serious injury by dangerous driving, drug driving and failing to stop after an accident.

Judge Stephen Earl, at Newcastle Crown Court, said it was ‘very lucky’ the victim was not killed in the crash.

He told Crowe: ‘If you embark on driving while under the influence of drugs at the level which you were and you decide to get into a race with someone else, causing this level of injury, you can expect an immediate custodial sentence from this court.’

The court heard the crash happened on Station Road, Prudhoe, on May 12.

Afterwards, Crowe climbed out of his car, which landed on it roof as a result of the collision, and left the scene on foot.

He handed himself into the police the next day and made a full confession.

Prosecutor Paul Currer told the court: ‘The defendant said a BMW was behind him as he was travelling and that car appeared to be trying to overtake him.

‘He was candid enough to tell the police he was determined to prevent this from happening.

‘He accelerated hard, up to 60mph. The speed limit is 30.’

The court heard the 80-year-old victim, who had been travelling home, had to spend two weeks in hospital recovering.

She said in a victim statement she still has bruising more than seven months after the smash and has been told by a doctor it is likely to be permanent.

The pensioner continues to have pain from her injuries and remains ‘upset’ about what happened.

She added: ‘I am unsure if I will ever drive again.’

Crowe pleaded guilty to causing serious injury by dangerous driving, failing to stop after an accident and driving above the limit for cocaine.

As well as the prison sentence, he was banned from driving for three years. 

Jonathan Devlin, defending, said Crowe has no relevant previous convictions, has a good job and positive references.

Mr Devlin said Crowe is ‘devastated’ by the consequences of his actions that night.