News, Culture & Society

EDEN CONFIDENTIAL: Prince Charles’s stepson left devastated after the death of his girlfriend

Prince Charles’s stepson Tom Parker Bowles is devastated by the cancer death of his girlfriend, 42, after her diagnosis was delayed by Covid lockdown

Prince Charles’s stepson has been left devastated by the death of his girlfriend at the age of 42 after her cancer diagnosis was delayed by lockdown. 

Camilla’s food writer son Tom Parker Bowles, 46, had been going out with former journalist Alice Procope for almost two years.

‘Tom had been blissfully happy with Alice and is devastated that life can be so cruel,’ says a friend of Tom, who separated from his fashion writer wife, Sara Buys, in 2018.

Ms Procope, known as Alice Horton while working as a diary reporter, died ‘peacefully’ at home on March 17. 

An insider told Eden Confidential that, partly because of Covid, the mother-of-three’s cancer diagnosis didn’t come until last August ‘by when it was too late.’ 

It comes amid fears thousands of cancer patients are missing out on potential life-saving treatment due to delays in diagnosis during the pandemic. 

Camilla’s food writer son Tom Parker Bowles, 46, had been going out with former journalist Alice Procope (left) for almost two years 

Figures analysed by Cancer Research UK show that between March and January, referrals for lung cancer fell by 34 per cent.

In total the number of urgent GP referrals for patients with suspected lung cancer fell by 20,300 compared to the same period last year. 

Speaking of Ms Procope, a friend said: ‘Partly because of Covid, Alice’s cancer diagnosis didn’t come until last August by when it was too late. 

‘That’s what’s so really cruel and there will be countless others like her.’  

Ms Procope was the granddaughter of the 2nd Viscount Ingleby and had three young children with her estranged husband, Robert Procope, grandson of baronet Sir Robert Wigram. 

She leaves behind children Katherine, Wilfred and Georgi. 

Charles is close to Tom and admired the way he has handled the future King’s relationship with his mother Camilla.

Prince Charles’s stepson, Tom Parker Bowles, has been left devastated after the death of his girlfriend at the age of 42

 An insider told Eden Confidential that, partly because of Covid, the mother-of-three’s cancer diagnosis didn’t come until last August ‘by when it was too late.’ Pictured: Tom Parker-Bowles

Mr Parker-Bowles seen with Camilla at the Cheltenham Festival on Ladies Day in 2015

Mr Parker-Bowles seen with Camilla at the Cheltenham Festival on Ladies Day in 2015

At school and university he was subjected to many snide remarks about his parents in particular about Camilla’s lengthy affair with Charles and its effect on Diana.

In 2018, he moved out of the Shepherd’s Bush home he shared with Sara and their two children after 12 years of marriage. 

Tom, whose father Andrew Parker-Bowles is Camilla’s first husband, previously said he has ‘always adored’ Prince Charles.

He said: ‘All you care about your parents is they’re happy and my mother is exceptionally happy at the moment. I’ve always adored my stepfather; he’s always been a kind and good and lovely man.

The wedding of Tom and fashion writer wife Sara Buys in 2005. The pair separated in 2018

The wedding of Tom and fashion writer wife Sara Buys in 2005. The pair separated in 2018

Tom Parker Bowles arrives at St George's Chapel at Windsor Castle before the wedding of Prince Harry to Meghan Markle on May 19, 2018

Tom Parker Bowles arrives at St George’s Chapel at Windsor Castle before the wedding of Prince Harry to Meghan Markle on May 19, 2018

‘I couldn’t care less: he is a man of warmth, intelligence and humanity and I think if it ever happens, he will make a fantastic King.’ 

The food writer, whose sister Laura Lopes is an art curator, has written five cookbooks and won the Guild of Food Writers award in 2010 for his writings on British food.   

He has also appeared regularly as a critic on Masterchef.

The death of Ms Procope comes amid growing fears over delays in scans or treatment for cancer because of lockdowns put in place to control the coronavirus pandemic in 2020.

The World Health Organisation last month warned Covid has had a ‘catastrophic’ impact on cancer treatment, adding a ‘crisis is brewing’ due to delays and cancellations.   

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk