Six schoolchildren are among eight injured after an explosion at a college in New Zealand
- Eight people including six schoolchildren have been injured in a fiery explosion
- The explosion took place in a college about half an hour south of Auckland
- It is believed the injuries were sustained after a barbecue blew up
A school’s lunchtime fundraiser has turned to disaster after a barbecue blew up.
Six schoolchildren are among eight injured at De La Salle College in Mangere East, south of Auckland, on Friday morning.
Emergency services were called to the school at about 11.30am local time.
Six schoolchildren have been injured in a barbecue explosion at a New Zealand college (pictured)
All eight of those injured have been taken to a nearby hospital with varying injuries.
St John spokesperson Glen Metcalfe told local publication NewsHub that one of those injured is in a serious condition.
The other seven has sustained minor burns.
De La Salle College principal Myles Hogarty said the explosion took place at morning interval and ‘involved a portable gas cooker exploding while boys were running a sausage sizzle as part of their Young Enterprise Studies’.
‘Three boys received burns to their hair, two staff members supervising the event also received minor burns,’ he told the New Zealand Herald.
The eight injured have been taken to hospital, one of which is in a serious condition. Pictured: De La Salle College’s schoolgrounds
The explosion reportedly took place during a lunchtime barbecue held by students, aiming to raise funds for the school’s business students.
It is understood classes will continue as normal for the rest of the afternoon.