An 11-year-old girl is fighting for her life in hospital after she suffered a massive electric shock from a garden tap at her family home on Saturday night.
Denishar Woods remains in a critical condition at Princess Margaret Hospital, over 24 hours after the incident in the Perth suburb of Beldon.
Denishar’s distraught mother, Lacey Harrison, recalled the moments her daughter fell to the ground screaming when she tried to turn off the outside tap.
Eleven-year-old Perth girl Denishar Woods is fighting for life after receiving an electric shock from a garden tap on Saturday night
Denishar’s distraught mother, Lacey Harrison, told Perth media of how ‘the hose has gripped my daughter’s body and just taken her down and fried her’
‘The hose has gripped my daughter’s body and just taken her down and fried her,’ Ms Harrison told media in Perth on Sunday.
‘I touched my daughter and the current pulled me down onto her.
‘I could hear this electrical sound going through my body and a burning.’
Neighbours reported hearing a loud bang at the time of the impact before emergency services arrived soon after.
Mervin Brown rushed toward the scene after hearing the family scream for help before finding Denishar in a pool of water and her mother .
‘Water was spraying everywhere and I tried to turn off the tap and I got a big shock,’ he told The West Australian.
‘I thought ‘this can’t be happening’ – who would think a tap’s live – and I tried a second and third time but I got another couple of bolts and I couldn’t get near the people.’
Despite being revived by paramedics at the scene, the schoolgirl lost consciousness soon after and remains in a coma at Princess Margaret Hospital in Perth
Neighbours ran to the aid of the family when they heard the sounds of their screams, with one neighbour, Mervin Browne being injured in the processs
The schoolgirl was revived by paramedics after they arrived at the home but became unconscious shortly not long after.
She has remained in a coma ever since the horror incident.
Despite also being injured by the tap, Ms Harrison was released from hospital on Sunday and told waiting reporters of how she tried desperately to save her daughter.
‘I went to grab my baby because I didn’t realise how stuck she was to this energy,’ she said.
Ms Harrison is said to have reported an electrical problem at the property an hour before the incident and was told an electrician would be out on Saturday evening or the next day
‘It dragged me onto her and I dropped down on the other side half way under my car.
‘She was on one side frying, I was on the other side frying.’
After a power outage earlier in the evening, it is thought Ms Harrison reported an electrical problem to the Department of Housing about an hour before the shock.
She was told an electrician would be out that evening or the next day.
The incident at the public housing property is currently being investigated by the Office of Energy Safety and the Department of Housing.