Why you should NEVER sleep with your contacts in: Eye doctor shares shocking photos showing a patient’s cornea eaten away by bacteria after she went to sleep wearing the lenses
- Ophthalmologist Dr. Patrick Vollmer posted photos to Facebook that showed one of his patients suffering from a cultured pseudomonas ulcer
- It came about after the patient went to sleep without first removing her contact lenses
- A cultured pseudomonas ulcer can cause permanent vision damage as bacteria eats away at the cornea of the eye
- An estimated 45 million Americans wear contact lenses, with serious infections affecting around 1 in every 500 users per year
An ophthalmologist has shared shocking photos to caution his clients about the dangers of leaving their contact lenses in while they sleep.
Dr. Patrick Vollmer, from Vita Eye Clinic in Shelby, North Carolina, took to Facebook this week to post stomach-churning images of a woman who had her cornea eaten away by bacteria after she frequently left her lenses in overnight.
In a post which has now been viewed by more than 30 million people, the woman’s eyes are seen glazed over as they ooze with thick, yellow puss.
A North Carolina ophthalmologist has shared shocking photos of one his patients suffering from a condition that came about after she failed to remove her contact lenses before sleep
Dr Vollmer explains that she is suffering from a ‘cultured pseudomonas ulcer’ that is ‘the direct result of sleeping in contact lenses.’
He states: ‘Pseudomonas (bacteria) is an important cause of ocular morbidity and its opportunistic characteristics quickly lead to permanent blindness. This will be the 4th case of cultured pseudomonas that I’ve treated in my clinic.
‘The bacteria explosively eats away at the patients cornea in a matter of days leaving a soupy, white necrosis (dead tissue) in its wake.’.
While Dr Vollmer says he was able to start the patient on antibiotic drops and steroids to reduce permanent scarring, he concedes it will be ‘very likely’ that she will suffer some form of permanent vision loss.
In a post which has now been viewed by more than 30 million people, the woman’s eyes are seen glazed over as ooze with thick, yellow puss
Dr Vollmer explained that the condition is a ‘cultured pseudomonas ulcer’, during which bacteria eats away at the cornea
Dr Vollmer conceded it would be very likely the patient would experience some kind of permanent vision damage
‘To be very clear, I don’t ever recommend sleeping in any brand of SOFT contact lenses. The risks outweigh the benefits every time. It takes seconds to remove your contacts but a potential lifetime of irreversible damage if you choose to leave them in’.
He pleads: ‘People need to see these images and remind themselves/family/friends to also be aware of contact lens misuse.’
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, an estimated 45 million Americans wear contact lenses.
Two-thirds of them are women, and the average age of the wearer is just 31.
However, pseudomonas is not the only possible problem arriving from lens use.
Keratitis, or inflammation of the cornea, leads to one million doctors visits annually at a cost of $175 million to the US healthcare system.
Serious infections affect around 1 in every 500 contact lens users per year
Dr Vollmer (pictured) shared the shocking photos, which have now been seen by more than 30 million people