FIRE UP THE VEGGIES! Fantastic fudgy chocolate cake
Cool in the tin. When cool, dust with a little cocoa powder and serve topped with coconut yogurt and berries if you like
80g coconut oil, melted, plus a smidge for the tin
50g self-raising flour
100g ground almonds
2 scoops (60g) vanilla protein powder (see Joe’s Top Tip)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
80g cocoa powder (over 70% cocoa solids), plus more for dusting
150ml maple syrup
200ml coconut milk
zest of 1 orange
optional coconut yogurt and fresh strawberries and/or raspberries, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3. Grease a 20cm round cake tin with a little coconut oil and line the base with baking parchment.
- Mix the self-raising flour, ground almonds, vanilla protein powder, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and a pinch of salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the cocoa with 150ml boiling water until well combined, then whisk in the melted coconut oil, maple syrup, coconut milk and orange zest.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and give everything a good whisk until you have a smooth runny batter. Pour into the cake tin and bake for 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted at the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool in the tin. When cool, dust with a little cocoa powder and serve topped with coconut yogurt and berries if you like.
JOE’S TOP TIP This cake can also be frozen without the topping for up to a month. Visit myprotein.com for my new protein powders.