News, Culture & Society

Fitness First closes for cleaning after a member infected with coronavirus attended a group workout 

Fitness First closes for deep cleaning after a member infected with coronavirus attended a group workout

A Fitness First gym in Sydney has been forced to shut for cleaning after a member contracted coronavirus. 

The member attended the gym in Kings Cross for a group class on Monday July 20, before testing positive to COVID-19.  

‘Fitness First Kings Cross was made aware by the NSW Health Department that an individual who subsequently tested positive for COVID-19 visited its Kings Cross club on July 20 to attend a class only, and did not use the gym floor or facilities,’ a statement read.

‘NSW Health has already contacted those members that have been identified as being in close contact with the person diagnosed with COVID-19.’

Fitness First said the club has followed the safety advice from NSW Health.  

‘Fitness First Kings Cross has followed all the NSW Health recommendations and guidelines in relation to this matter, including providing them with the details of all members who are required to self-isolate as a result of being in contact with the member,’ the statement said. 

Close contacts of the infected member have been identified and told to self-isolate. 

The club remains open and ‘safe for all those visiting’.  

‘The club has undergone a process of deep cleaning in addition to increased daily cleaning that has been taking place since the club reopened in June,’ the statement said. 

A number of restaurants in neighbouring Potts Point have voluntarily shut their doors until the end of the week amid concerns the inner-eastern suburb could be the next NSW coronavirus hotspot.

Residents were on Monday advised of two more positive cases in the densely populated suburb involving The Apollo and Thai Rock restaurants.

Those cases were confirmed by NSW Health on Tuesday as they announced 14 new COVID-19 cases, with just one from hotel quarantine.

The Potts Point cases come after another case was discovered over the weekend – a diner who attended Thai Rock.

Anyone who attended The Apollo from July 23 to 25 or Thai Rock between July 15 and 25 are being asked to get tested and quarantine for 14 days.

NSW Health is also asking anyone who lives in or has visited the Potts Point area in the past two weeks to get tested if they have respiratory symptoms.

In the wake of the three recent cases in the area, a number of high-profile restaurants in the district have voluntarily closed their venues. Some have reverted to selling takeaway food only.

‘As a precaution and for the safety of yourselves and our staff we have chosen to close until Thursday for a deep clean of the venue and for all of our staff to be tested,’ the operators of The Roosevelt posted on Instagram.

Of the 14 recorded cases, six are linked to the funeral service cluster in Sydney’s southwest and another four at Thai Rock in Wetherill Park.

More to come