Devastated Florida man, 29, issues warning after his beloved black lab dies of saltwater poisoning from drinking too much while swimming
- Chris Taylor, 29, had to put his black Labrador Retriever O.G. down this week
- The six-year-old pup was poisoned by saltwater at a beach in Tampa Bay, Florida
- Taylor is sharing his sad experience as a warning to other pet owners
Chris Taylor, 29, had to put down his black Labrador Retriever O.G. this week after the pup was poisoned by saltwater at a beach in Tampa Bay, Florida
A Florida man whose black Labrador Retriever died after a trip to the beach is warning other pet owners about saltwater poisoning.
Chris Taylor, 29, had to put his beloved dog O.G. down on Wednesday after the six-year-old ingested seawater at a Tampa Bay-area beach.
O.G. started showing symptoms of dehydration including unsteadiness and diarrhea shortly after playing in the surf and running along the sand on Monday.
Taylor figured the dog was just tuckered out from the adventure, and didn’t think much of it because soon enough O.G. appeared to be feeling better.
Two days later O.G. stopped eating so Taylor rushed him to the veterinarian, who told him the dog’s brain was swelling and he wouldn’t survive.
‘It still feels surreal,’ Taylor told Fox 13. ‘It doesn’t feel like reality. I [have] to get a grip on that and realize that it is real and he’s gone.’
O.G. became very ill on Wednesday, two days after spending the day in the Florida surf
Taylor shared his story in hopes of preventing other owners from experiencing the same loss
Ingesting seawater can have deadly consequences for both humans and animals because the body isn’t equipped to handle the salt content.
Veterinarian Melissa Webster told Fox 13 that dogs sometimes mistake ocean water for fresh water, which is why owners need to keep a close eye on their pets at the beach.
‘When I brought my puppy to the beach for the first time, I was literally there for only 10 minutes,’ Dr Webster said.
‘He was drinking it like it was water in the pool. So for him, 10 minutes was more than enough.’
Dr Webster also reminded owners to make sure their dogs have enough fresh water on hand to keep the dog from resorting to the salty sea.
Taylor has shared his story in hopes of preventing other owners from experiencing the same loss.
The heartbroken owner spoke of O.G.’s ‘vibrant spirit, saying: ‘If there was a tennis ball and a stick in a big body of water that’s what he would love to do most.’
SALTWATER POISONING DANGER IN CANINES
During a day of playing at the beach, it’s easy for dogs to become dehydrated from running around in the hot sun.
If a dog is provided with the necessary fresh water to rehydrate, they might resort to drinking from the ocean, which can have deadly consequences.
Ingesting large amounts of salt causes the body’s cells to release water in an effort to re-balance, causing severe dehydration.
Veterinarians warn that the best way to prevent a dog from drinking seawater is to provide them with plenty of fresh water on beach days.
They also urge owners to understand the signs and symptoms of saltwater poisoning:
- Lack of energy
- Loss of appetite
If noticed early enough, saltwater poisoning can be treated by a veterinarian with IV therapy or medications.