Sports stars have slammed a tradesman who allegedly knocked out a stranger in a cowardly one-punch attack, calling him a ‘pathetic human’.
Ryan Wells, 32, of Frankston South in Melbourne’s south-west, was granted bail on Monday after allegedly taking cocaine, drinking ten schooners of beer and four bourbon and cokes before the assault.
Shocking CCTV footage showed Wells allegedly smashing his elbow into a 43-year-old man’s face in an unprovoked attack in Frankston at 7.45pm on Thursday.
AFL footy star Patrick Dangerfield took to Twitter to share his disgust at the video, calling Wells a ‘pathetic human’.
Ryan Wells (pictured, left), 32, of Frankston South in Melbourne’s south-west, was granted bail on Monday, sparking widespread outrage
Wells (pictured) is also under investigation for another assault which left a man in hospital for ten days with bleeding on the brain and a broken nose
AFL footy star Patrick Dangerfield took to Twitter to share his disgust at the video, as did basketball legend Andrew Bogut
Basketball legend Andrew Bogut also shared his thoughts on the incident via social media.
He called the men involved ‘squids’, and sarcastically agreed with the magistrate’s decision to let Wells out on bail.
Boxer Danny Green said Wells ‘epitomises the term “coward”‘.
‘The poor victim was simply walking down the road with his hands in his pockets. He was very close to being killed such was the force with which the back of his head hit the pavement, which has killed many others in similar circumstances,’ he said.
‘You absolute pissant Ryan Wells, and Joel Wells who thought this was funny. You both are weak and afraid.’
Former Victoria Premier Jeff Kennett said the decision to grant Wells bail was ‘totally unacceptable’.
‘The footage of the attack [is] the most shocking for any pedestrian. His release is an affront to all law-abiding citizens not to mention the victim of his assault.’
Public anger boiled over after police released the footage, and led vigilantes to post what they believed was Wells’ address on social media.
Police opposed bail in Frankston Magistrates Court, and said the 43-year-old victim did not report the attack for fear of retribution.
Detective Senior Constable Belinda Rampal said Wells had been drinking at the Grand Hotel in Frankston before the attack, and had admitted taking cocaine.
Wells had also admitted consuming ten schooners of beer and four bourbon and cokes, Senior Constable Rampal said.
After leaving the venue with his brother Joel and another man, Wells allegedly elbowed a complete stranger in the face, knocking him to the ground.
Senior Constable Rampal said Wells showed no remorse after the incident, and shocking CCTV footage shows the men continue walking without looking back and then laughing while the victim struggled to get to his feet behind them.
Magistrate Ross Betts granted bail after Wells’ lawyer argued his client had a stable job, income and place of residence.
A graphic which was posted to a Facebook group by vigilantes after outrage at the bail decision
Ryan Wells (far left and right) handed himself into police on Monday morning where he was charged with assault. His alleged victim can be seen (left) lying on the ground after the attack
After leaving the venue with his brother Joel (pictured) and another man, Wells allegedly elbowed a complete stranger in the face, knocking him to the ground
Wells, who has been charged with intentionally and recklessly causing injury, assault and affray, was given a curfew and ordered not to attend licensed venues, contact witnesses or consume alcohol or drugs.
The decision to grant bail sparked outrage among the community, with former Victorian premier Jeff Kennett among those to speak out.
‘For Ryan Wells to have been released on bail after the unprovoked attack on a citizen in Frankston is totally unacceptable,’ Mr Kennett said on Twitter.
‘The footage of the attack the most shocking for any pedestrian.’
‘I’ve never seen anything like this. We read about domestic violence, one punch hits, but never see the crime as it is committed, we hear the reporting of it,’ Mr Kennett told the Today show on Tuesday morning.
The decision to grant bail sparked outrage among the community, with former Victorian premier Jeff Kennett among those to speak out
Basketball star Andrew Bogut was another to speak out, writing ‘of course he has…’ in a retweet of a news story about Wells being granted bail
After Victoria Police released the first lot of CCTV footage more emerged showing the alleged attack from a different angle
Victoria Police released footage of the sickening attack on the weekend and made a public plea for help to identify the alleged perpetrators
‘In a totally unprovoked vicious manner, this man lent across and struck this person on the face.
‘When I first saw it I cringed, and it got to the stage where I couldn’t see it anymore. I think it was because in part it could have been any of us. You, me, our children, our parents.
‘I was absolutely horrified by it, more so when I heard this individual was allowed out on bail. I think he forfeited the right to walk our streets … It’s revolting, horrifying, and I think it just fails every community expectation.’
Geelong Cats star Patrick Dangerfield slammed the decision after a series of earlier posts calling for the attacker to be identified.
‘Just because he has stable work and a place to live doesn’t mean he could cowardly clock someone again,’ Dangerfield wrote alongside a clip of a media article showing Wells’ work information.
Security vision overlooking the path, next to Nepean Highway in Frankston, captured the three men wearing hi-visibility clothing walking together about 7.45pm
‘His family will definitely have to support him, you would have to say that all his future contracts are now lost.’
Dangerfield also referred to Wells as a ‘pathetic human’.
Basketball star Andrew Bogut was another to speak out, writing ‘of course he has…’ in a retweet of a news story about Wells being granted bail.
A Facebook group on Monday posted an image of Wells along with the details of his business and what they claimed to be his current address.
The address was changed on multiple occasions.
‘Edit: Address updated to current residence,’ the post read.
The address claiming to belong to Wells was also plastered over Twitter.
But Victoria Police insisted the wrong address was being circulated and warned residents to stay away from the home.
Witnesses say they followed a trail of blood to the victim but he refused their help and fled the scene
Victoria Police said a home address being posted online in relation to the Frankston affray was factually incorrect. The tweet was later deleted
‘Police are aware that a home address in relation to the Frankston affray, of which a man has been charged, has been circulating on social media,’ they posted on Twitter.
‘The information if factually incorrect. Police are asking members of the public to stay away from the address.’
The tweet was later deleted.
Wells, who runs a local concreting business, and his brother Joel handed themselves in to police on Monday morning and faced Frankston Magistrates Court that afternoon.
The court heard his recent alleged victim had not yet filed an official complaint as he was currently ‘in fear of his life’, Nine News reported.
A second man, who was caught on CCTV footage cruelly laughing as the victim lay semi-conscious on the ground, was questioned but released without charge.
Victoria Police released footage of the sickening attack on the weekend and made a public plea for help to identify the alleged perpetrators.
Security vision overlooking the path, next to Nepean Highway in Frankston, captured the three men wearing hi-visibility clothing walking together about 7.45pm.
Witnesses say they followed a trail of blood to the victim but he refused their help and fled the scene.
Other witnesses reported hiding after seeing the horrific attack unfold from 20metres away.
A 43-year-old man (pictured) was attacked in the alleged assault. He is speaking with police but is ‘too scared’ to make an official complaint, the court heard