News, Culture & Society

Four-year-old Florida girl home from hospital after she nearly died from swallowing pool water

A four-year-old Florida girl is finally home after she nearly died from swallowing pool water earlier this week. 

Elianna Grace, of Sarasota, was left fighting for her life in the hospital after she caught an infection from the pool chemicals.

Now her family is overjoyed that their little girl has returned home and is on her way to a full recovery. 

Elianna’s mother Lacey Grace revealed that she is now taking antibiotics but gets sleepy easily and is still struggling to eat.

 

Elianna Grace, four, is back at her Sarasota, Florida home after she nearly died from swallowing water from a pool (pictured behind her) earlier this week

Elianna was fighting for her life in the hospital for days after she caught an infection from the pool chemicals

Elianna was fighting for her life in the hospital for days after she caught an infection from the pool chemicals

But Elianna is also enjoying the new toys she was gifted while in the hospital, Grace told WTSP.   

Elianna was hospitalized last Wednesday, just four days after she played in her grandparent’s pool with a pool noodle. 

‘By 100% freak accident, Elianna put her mouth to blow out at the same time someone blew in the other end, causing the water to shoot directly down her throat,’ Grace wrote on Facebook.  

Elianna immediately threw up the water and seemed fine 30 minutes afterward and continued playing. 

Elianna's mother Lacey Grace revealed that she is now taking antibiotics but gets sleepy easily and is still struggling to eat

Elianna’s mother Lacey Grace revealed that she is now taking antibiotics but gets sleepy easily and is still struggling to eat

But Elianna is also enjoying the new toys she was gifted while in the hospital and is on the road to making a full recovery 

But Elianna is also enjoying the new toys she was gifted while in the hospital and is on the road to making a full recovery 

He mother says she was also okay the following day, but then developed a fever on Monday. 

‘Kids get fevers, this is normal. I didn’t think much. Tuesday she slept most of the day but still overall looked fine. Sent her to school Wednesday and got a call in the afternoon that her fever was back,’ her mother wrote on Facebook. 

Lacey said she then rushed her daughter to an urgent care center where the doctor told her to get Elianna to the nearest emergency room as soon as possible.

‘Her heart rate was crazy high, her oxygen was low, and her skin was turning purple which suggested chemical infection,’ according to Lacey. 

When they arrived at the ER, Elianna underwent an X-ray that showed inflammation and infection caused from pool chemicals.

Elianna (right) was hospitalized last Wednesday just four days after she played in her grandparent's pool with a 'pool noodle', according to her mother, Lacey Grace

Elianna (right) was hospitalized last Wednesday just four days after she played in her grandparent’s pool with a ‘pool noodle’, according to her mother, Lacey Grace

Grace (pictured with her family) said she then rushed her daughter to an urgent care center where the doctor urged her to take Elianna to the emergency room

Grace (pictured with her family) said she then rushed her daughter to an urgent care center where the doctor urged her to take Elianna to the emergency room

Two hours later, Elianna was transferred to a larger hospital where she was diagnosed with aspiration pneumonia. 

As Elianna was getting sicker, Grace recalled an article she had read a year prior about a four-year-old Texas boy who died from ‘dry drowning’. 

The boy, named Francisco ‘Frankie’ Delgado Jr, had inhaled water while swimming that built up around his lungs and heart. 

‘He passed away after seven days and she was on day four so it was just, I don’t know what would’ve happened if we waited,’ Grace said. 

‘There were two doctors that told me that, you know, thank god you brought her in because her oxygen levels were dropping in the hospital.’ 

Grace is now encouraging other parents to beware of pool water and to get help immediately if their child swallows any

Grace is now encouraging other parents to beware of pool water and to get help immediately if their child swallows any

‘She looked, she was sleeping, she looked like an angel. She didn’t look like she was struggling whatsoever.’ 

Grace said she considers Frankie to be her guardian angel, guiding her on how to take care of Elianna. 

The mom is now encouraging other parents to beware of pool water and to get help immediately if their child swallows any. 

‘If you think something is off, I encourage you to get them checked out,’ she said. 

‘Best case, they’re gonna say, “Your kid’s okay, something that’ll pass”. And, worst case, they’re gonna say, “You need to get to the nearest ER immediately”‘.  

The family has since set up a GoFundMe account to raise money for Elianna’s medical expenses which has raised more than $2,000.  



Read more at DailyMail.co.uk