News, Culture & Society

Funds raised for the families of the children lost in the Hillcrest jumping

Where’s the MONEY? $1.4million raised for the families of the children lost in Tasmania’s jumping castle tragedy has STILL not been handed out

  • More than $1.4 million raised online to help the Hillcrest victim’s families is ‘held’
  • Six Tasmanian students were killed in December 2021’s jumping castle tragedy
  • A flood of tributes and donations were sent to help support the victim’s families
  • GoFundMe is holding the donations safely until it receives final documentation


More than $1.4 million raised online following Tasmania’s jumping castle tragedy is yet to reach the families of victims due to ‘legal issues’.

Six Hillcrest Primary School students were killed and three injured when the castle and several inflatable Zorb balls became airborne during final-day celebrations in December.

Zoe Smith, who grew up in Devonport, set up a GoFundMe page in the days after to help the families from her hometown.

More than $1.4 million raised online following Tasmania’s jumping castle tragedy is yet to reach the families of victims due to ‘legal issues’

It received some 18,300 donations and raised $1,460,360.

Devonport City Council issued a statement this week saying the release of the money to the nine families was taking longer than anticipated.

The council said the release had been delayed by ‘very complex legal issues’ being managed by the state government and legal representatives of the fund’s initiator.

‘We understand the community is worried that the money raised hasn’t yet gone to the families, but it will, and this is not negotiable,’ Devonport Mayor Annette Rockliff said.

(Left to right) Zane Mellor, Peter Dodt, Addison Stewart, Jye Sheehan, Jalailah Jayne-Maree Jones, and Chace Harrison died when the castle and several inflatable Zorb balls became airborne during final-day celebrations in December

(Left to right) Zane Mellor, Peter Dodt, Addison Stewart, Jye Sheehan, Jalailah Jayne-Maree Jones, and Chace Harrison died when the castle and several inflatable Zorb balls became airborne during final-day celebrations in December

After the incident mourners flocked to the school to leave soft toys, messages, and flowers for the children tragically killed in the incident

After the incident mourners flocked to the school to leave soft toys, messages, and flowers for the children tragically killed in the incident

‘The money was always intended for those families and that’s exactly where it will go.’

GoFundMe said it is working closely with fundraiser organisers and was holding the money safely until it receives final documentation about how funds will be distributed.

‘We appreciate that this has taken a little longer than donors may have hoped,’ a spokeswoman said.

‘Given the circumstances of this tragedy, the distribution plan has had to be carefully managed, which can take some time.

The tragedy shook the Devonport, Tasmania, community and has seen calls for stronger laws around inflatable safety

The tragedy shook the Devonport, Tasmania, community and has seen calls for stronger laws around inflatable safety

GoFundMe said it is working closely with fundraiser organisers and was holding the donated money safe until it receives final documentation about how funds will be distributed

GoFundMe said it is working closely with fundraiser organisers and was holding the donated money safe until it receives final documentation about how funds will be distributed

‘It is our understanding that the distribution plan is in its final stages and donors will be updated in due course.’

Ms Smith indicated on December 18 the GoFundMe donations would be rolled into a separate community fundraiser, set up by bank MyState to ensure safekeeping.

Tasmanian Premier Peter Gutwein indicated he was confident all of the money would reach the families.

He said the state government would help the families financially if needed while the matter was ‘being sorted out’.

A flood of tributes left outside the school following the tragedy were collected by Devonport City Council for use in a permanent memorial

A flood of tributes left outside the school following the tragedy were collected by Devonport City Council for use in a permanent memorial

‘There are legal matters that need to be worked through. My understanding is, in terms of everything we’re doing, we need to ensure that every dollar goes to the people that it should go to,’ he said on Friday.

The AFL is holding a pre-season fixture between Richmond and Hawthorn at Devonport Oval on March 5, which will act as a further fundraiser.

A flood of tributes left outside the school following the tragedy were collected by Devonport City Council for use in a permanent memorial.

Zane Mellor, Jye Sheehan, Jalailah Jayne-Maree Jones, Peter Dodt, Addison Stewart and Chace Harrison died in the incident, which is being investigated by the coroner.

***
Read more at DailyMail.co.uk



Find local lawyers and law firms at USAttorneys.com