Funeral led to shocking drunken brawl in Redcar

Steven Watson and his ex-girlfriend nurse Sarah Woods were involved in shocking violence after getting drunk at his father’s funeral, a court has heard

A boozy funeral led to chaos when the son of the deceased attacked another mourner in a row over his girlfriend.

Steven Watson and his then-girlfriend nurse Sarah Woods had been drinking heavily at Watson’s father’s funeral last month before things turned nasty.

But Watson, 32, got into an argument with Woods, 38, and another man, who he accused of having sex behind his back.

Rachael Dodsworth, prosecuting, said ‘all three attended the funeral and got drunk’ on a day of ‘heightened emotions’.

Mother-of-two Woods and the other man left the funeral before Watson turned up and attacked the man, Teesside Magistrates’ Court heard.

Watson then chased the man through the streets of Redcar, North Yorkshire with a baseball bat and smashed up the man’s phone.

The chase was witnessed by shocked dog walkers and members of the public who tried to call the police, the court heard.

Woods, a nurse currently suspended from James Cook University Hospital in Middlesborough, then got involved and attacked a teenage girl who had called 999, grabbing her by the throat.

She told passers-by not to call police and threatened to punch another lady who witnessed the events.

When police arrived and tried to arrest Watson, Woods attacked a female police officer, hitting her and warning her not to arrest him

The couple, who have since split, clashed over allegations Ms Woods slept with another man

The couple, who have since split, clashed over allegations Ms Woods slept with another man

Police tried to tackle her with CS spray but it had little effect, the court heard.

Watson, of Redcar, pleaded guilty to possessing an offensive weapon, criminal damage and assault by beating. He was given conditional bail and will be sentenced at Teesside Crown Court.

Woods, who has since split from Watson, pleaded guilty to assaulting a constable, assault by beating and obstructing a police officer.

Lisa Carney, defending, said the incident was ‘out of character’ for Woods and that she was ‘truly remorseful’.

She said that Woods’ ‘life had been turned upside down’, adding : ‘This is her first time at court and you will never see her before the courts again.’

Chair of the bench, Heather Goodwill, fined Woods £986 and ordered her to pay £100 compensation to the girl and £50 to the police officer.