Gruesome extent of the damage to Melbourne Storm star Ryan Papenhuyzen’s knee is revealed – as NZ Warriors REJECT Storm’s request to sign Reece Walsh
- Storm star Ryan Papenhuyzen shattered his kneecap in 10 different places
- NRL Physio labelled it ‘one of the most brutal injuries we’ve seen in years’
- Papenhuyzen, 24, ruled out for the year, is tipped to recover for pre-season
- Melbourne were keen to bring Reece Walsh to the club, rejected by Warriors
The shocking extent of the knee damage suffered by Melbourne Storm star Ryan Papenhuyzen has been revealed in a scan.
NRL Physio uploaded an image on their Twitter page of the fullback’s shattered patella and labelled it ‘one of the most brutal injuries we’ve seen in years.’
It comes as the New Zealand Warriors rejected Melbourne’s bold request for young gun Reece Walsh as a late season swap for Papenhuyzen, who has been ruled out for the year.
Papenhuyzen was carried off AAMI Park after suffering a broken knee cap during last weekend’s loss to Canberra.
The 24-year-old sustained the injury in the round 18 clash following a heavy head-on tackle with Raiders captain Jack Wighton.
The shocking extent of the knee damage suffered by Melbourne Storm star Ryan Papenhuyzen (pictured) has been revealed in a scan
Papenhuyzen was carried off AAMI Park after suffering a broken knee cap (pictured) during last weekend’s loss to Canberra
On Thursday, Melbourne Storm chief executive Justin Rodski confirmed Papenhuyzen had shattered his kneecap, with the bone broken in 10 different places.
‘It certainly was one of those collision injuries that when he went down everyone stopped, you could feel the tension in the air,’ Rodski told SEN Breakfast.
‘Obviously, it’s really disappointing for him, he’s had a really tough run with injuries.
‘He put his body on the line on Sunday afternoon and I think he broke his kneecap in 10 different places in the end, it was a pretty brutal injury.
‘It certainly isn’t great, we were really feeling for him, he’s had such a tough run of injuries but whenever he gets back, he’s been in blistering form.’
The Storm star underwent surgery on Monday and is expected to be fit for pre-season in November
He missed nine weeks with hamstring and knee injuries sustained in Round 9 (above)
Rodski added that Papenhuyzen’s surgery last Monday was a success and his recovery time is around three months.
‘We won’t see him again this year, unfortunately,’ he said.
‘He’s so important for our team and our structure as a fullback, it was heartbreaking as a club.
‘Now we’ve got to move forward, find a replacement and get back on the winner’s list.’
Melbourne quickly turned their attention to Walsh, hoping the x-factor no 1 would be available in a purple jersey having already signed a three-year deal with Brisbane from 2023 and the Warriors out of finals contention.
Melbourne targeted Reece Walsh as a replacement for Papenhuyzen, but the NZ Warriors rejected the approach
Papenhuyzen had been one of the in-form players in the NRL, scoring 14 tries in 12 games
However, coach Craig Bellamy confirmed the Warriors – who benched Walsh this weekend for the clash with the Raiders – rejected their approach.
‘That’s been hit on the head,’ Bellamy told AAP on Friday ahead of their clash with the Rabbitohs in Sydney.
‘That’s been knocked back by the Warriors so we’ve moved on.
‘My job is not to go out there and try and find a replacement, my job is to coach with what we’ve got here and the other people on the recruitment side will look after that.’
Read more at DailyMail.co.uk