By CARLY JOHNSON FOR DAILYMAIL.COM

Published: 05:40 BST, 3 April 2025 | Updated: 05:42 BST, 3 April 2025

Gwyneth Paltrow’s daughter Apple Martin has broken her silence on the ‘really upsetting’ criticism she’s received following last year’s ‘mean girl’ drama.

The model, 20 — who is one of two children Oscar-winner Gwyneth shares with musician ex-husband Chris Martin — did so while speaking to Interview magazine about life as a Hollywood ‘nepo baby.’

At one point, she was asked by Mel Ottenberg, editor-in-chief of Interview magazine, if she ever reads ‘upsetting stuff’ about herself on the internet.

In November 2024, Apple sparked controversy while attending the elite Le Bal des Débutantes in Paris after a clip of herself being a ‘mean girl’ at the ball went viral.

Apple, who was supported by her A-list parents at the invite-only event in November, was accused of ‘stealing the spotlight’ from another girl getting her picture taken.

While a source close to Gwyneth insisted that the moment was taken out of context, fans ruthlessly tore into Apple as the video circulated on TikTok and Instagram.

While Apple didn’t specifically reference the debutante ball backlash in Wednesday’s chat, she did call out the ‘crazy conspiracies’ that have circulated about her online.

She told Ottenberg that she has avoided looking at social media comments ‘like the plague’ since January 2023 when she made her Paris Fashion Week debut at Chanel.

Gwyneth Paltrow's daughter Apple Martin has broken her silence on the 'really upsetting' criticism she's received following last year's 'mean girl' drama; seen in January 2023

Gwyneth Paltrow’s daughter Apple Martin has broken her silence on the ‘really upsetting’ criticism she’s received following last year’s ‘mean girl’ drama; seen in January 2023

In November 2024, Apple sparked controversy while attending the elite Le Bal des Débutantes in Paris after a clip of herself being a 'mean girl' at the ball went viral; seen with mom Gwyneth at the ball

In November 2024, Apple sparked controversy while attending the elite Le Bal des Débutantes in Paris after a clip of herself being a ‘mean girl’ at the ball went viral; seen with mom Gwyneth at the ball 

‘After the Chanel show, I did [read upsetting comments]. Then I quickly realized why everybody has always said, “Don’t do it.” Because even if you see a million positive things, there can be one thing that absolutely wrecks you,’ the rising star explained.

Her attendance at the Chanel event received a mixed reaction online, with some praising Apple’s ‘model looks’ and others slamming her as just another ‘nepo baby.’ 

She admitted that reading hateful things about herself has had a devastating impact on her mental well-being.

‘So, I’ve stopped now and I avoid it like the plague, because I know myself and I know that if I see stuff that isn’t true and that’s really upsetting to me, I’m going to be like, ‘Oh my god, I should never go out in public again.”

Now, Apple is focused on the positive and has learned to accept the downsides of being a public figure.

‘I’ve tried to be like, “People are going to say stuff, and that’s okay,”‘ she said. ‘And like everybody, there’s going to be stuff that isn’t true and stuff that is upsetting, and all I can do is just be the best that I can be and be with the people I love and not read random, crazy conspiracies.’

:
Gwyneth Paltrow’s nepo baby Apple Martin breaks silence on ‘really upsetting’ criticism after ‘mean girl’ saga

***
Read more at DailyMail.co.uk