‘Handsome’ student, 21, died after taking ecstasy

Calum Gill, pictured, died after taking ecstasy at Radio 1’s Big Weekend and his family described him as ‘intelligent and beautiful’ in a tribute

The family of 21-year-old student who died after taking ecstasy ahead of Radio 1 Big Weekend have paid tribute to their ‘beautiful son and beloved brother.’

University of Hull student Calum Gill tragically died in front of his distraught family at Hull Royal Infirmary after taking a lethal amount of the Class A drug. It is believed it was the first time he had taken it.

Calum’s parents, Andrew and Gurvinder, and his younger brother, Owen, described the law and European studies graduate as an ‘intelligent, talented, handsome and loving child’ who had a ‘wonderful future ahead of him’. 

An inquest at Hull Coroners Court heard Calum had plans to work in a summer camp in America as a pool lifeguard before teaching English in China.

Calum was travelling on a shuttle bus from Hull Paragon to Burton Constable Hall on Saturday, May 27, when he started convulsing midway through the journey.

Earlier that morning, the student had taken a ‘red and yellow capsule’ which he had filled with ecstasy.

According to friends, Calum looked ‘high’ and his behaviour became noticeably erratic at the train station.

En route to the two-day music festival, he collapsed and started fitting and his lips were described as turning blue while his face had turned ‘grey.’

Two off-duty medics attempted to save Calum by asking the bus driver to stop and by putting him in the recovery position.

Lindsay Carter, an off-duty nurse who works at Sheffield Children’s Hospital, was one of those who attempted to help Calum.

In a statement read to the court on Tuesday, she said: ‘In all my years I have never seen nor am I likely to forget how poorly he looked.

‘His heart rate was approximately 220 beats per minute. His pupils were large and they weren’t moving.

‘He needed help immediately as there was nothing we could do to stop the seizure.

‘I felt helpless with no equipment or anything to use but basic first aid skills.’

The inquest heard a police woman ran up the stairs of the bus and grabbed him by the legs while a male passenger grabbed him by the shoulders.

They carried Calum, who had become ‘red hot’, down the stairs and laid him on a grassy bank outside the bus.

The inquest heard it was believed to be the first time Calum had taken the drug. 

Despite the efforts of Ms Carter and the emergency services, Calum, of Birmingham, suffered three cardiac arrests at Hull Royal Infirmary, and was pronounced dead at 4:25pm.

Calum collapsed on a bus en route to the festival, pictured, and his lips were described as turning blue while his hair 'turned grey' 

Calum collapsed on a bus en route to the festival, pictured, and his lips were described as turning blue while his hair ‘turned grey’ 

A toxicology report found Calum had small amounts of diazepam and alcohol in his system, and ‘fatal’ levels of ecstasy.

Assistant coroner Oliver Longstaff concluded that Calum died due to ‘misadventure’.

‘For any family, any death within that family is a tragedy,’ he said. 

‘It is never more appropriate to describe it as a tragedy when it is a young person.

‘If one young person hears of the events of Calum’s death they may think twice before experimenting [with drugs]. 

‘Then, his family may feel that Calum’s death has not entirely been in vain.’ 

In a statement after the inquest, Mr Gill said: ‘Calum is loved by us and his friends. He would have been touched to see so many school friends and teachers, as well as university lecturers and friends, join us to remember Calum.

‘The tragedy of such unfulfilled potential is hard to bear, especially as he had such a wonderful future ahead of him.

‘He was turning into the lovely young man that we had brought him up to be. We all love and miss our beautiful son and brother.’ 

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk