Have a souper summer! Pea and watercress soup with poached egg
Cool down or spice things up with these soups that are perfect for a sunny day.
Serve this pea and watercress soup immediately after reheating with a poached egg on top
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, diced
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1ltr (1¾pt) chicken or vegetable stock
- 500g (1lb 2oz) frozen peas
- 50g (1¾oz) watercress
- 6 poached eggs (optional, see tip across the bottom of the page)
Heat the oil in a pan. Fry the onion and celery for 5 minutes, until soft and transparent, but not browned. Add the diced potato and stock. Boil for 15 minutes, until the potato is just tender. Add the frozen peas and bring back to the boil, then leave to simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the watercress then pour the soup into a liquidiser, or use a stick blender. Blend until mostly smooth. Reheat in the pan, then serve immediately with a poached egg on top, if using.