The teenage boy accused of killing the SA Police Commissioner’s son is banned from contacting his girlfriend as part of his bail conditions, Daily Mail Australia can reveal.
Dhirren Randhawa, 18, was released from custody on Monday after being charged over the alleged hit-and-run death of Charlie Stevens in Goolwa, south of Adelaide.
But under his conditional release, Randhawa is unable to contact four eye witnesses to the case – one of whom is his high school sweetheart, Montana Rose Bowd, 18.
Randhawa, a former Victor Harbor High School student with aspirations of becoming a doctor, has been dating Ms Bowd for the past year.
Dhirren Randhawa is pictured alongside his mother Amreeta Stara
According to the strict bail conditions, Randhawa must have no contact with, nor go within 100m of, Ms Bowd, The Advertiser reports.
The same conditions apply to the other three witnesses, who are each friends of Mr Stevens.
Ms Bowd was travelling in the front seat of Randhawa’s magnetic blue VW Golf hatchback when he allegedly struck Mr Stevens on Beach Road about 9pm on Friday.
Mr Stevens had been in the area with friends to attend schoolies celebrations, which had just kicked off that evening, in nearby Victor Harbor.
While on bail, Randhawa is also not allowed to drive, be in the driver’s seat of any car and must live with his mother, hypnotherapist and author Amreeta Stara, at their Encounter Bay home, according to the Advertiser.
He must also be of good behaviour, surrender his passport, remain in the state, and cannot reapply for his licence, which was disqualified by police at the time of his arrest.
His mother has paid a $15,000 surety for his release.
According to documents obtained by the Advertiser, Ms Bowd told South Australia Police that Mr Stevens ‘ran across the road, into the path’ of Randhawa’s car.
However, Mr Stevens’ friends – the other three witnesses – have given police a different version of events.
They claim Randhawa was performing a U-turn and veered onto the opposite side of the road, striking Mr Stevens.
Charlie Stevens (pictured) has been remembered by devastated loved ones as a ‘beautiful boy’
They said moments earlier the group had flagged Randhawa down to ask if he could give them a ride to schoolies festivities, but there was not enough room in his car.
Ms Bowd is not accused of any wrongdoing and there is no suggestion of animosity between the groups.
Randhawa allegedly drove away from the scene before police officers arrested him a short time later on nearby Port Elliott Road.
Ms Bowd told officers that after leaving the scene, Randhawa phoned his mother to ask whether he should call police or go to police station in person. She added that he was still on the phone when officers arrived.
Meanwhile, Mr Stevens was flown to Flinders Medical Centre with an ‘irreversible brain injury’. His life support was switched off around 7pm on Saturday night after family from interstate arrived to say their goodbyes.
Randhawa has been charged with causing death by dangerous driving, aggravated driving without due care, leaving the scene of a crash after causing death and failing to truly answer questions.
He is yet to enter a plea to the allegations, with the matter adjourned until early next year.
Dhirren Randhawa, 18, (pictured leaving Christies Beach Magistrates’ Court in Adelaide on Monday) has been charged over the death of Charlie Stevens. His mum is in pink on the right
If he is found guilty, he faces a maximum jail term of 15 years and disqualification from holding or obtaining a driver’s licence for 10 years.
Mr Stevens’s death is the 101st fatality on South Australia’s roads this year compared with just 61 from the same period last year.
Earlier this week, his father SA Police Commissioner Grant Stevens shared a heartbreaking letter dedicated to his son, saying: ‘We will never forget your beautiful cheeky, disarming smile.’
Ms Stara expressed her condolences to the Stevens family in a statement from Saturday.
‘I extend my deepest possible sympathies to the Stevens family and my heart is breaking to think of the suffering and pain they are experiencing,’ she said.
‘Out of respect and acknowledging that this is now a matter for the courts, I won’t be saying anything further at this time.’
Randhawa will next appear in court at Adelaide Magistrates Court in March.