A vet baked a tray of cookies in her car to demonstrate how pets can be cooked alive in vehicles that turn into ovens in the sweltering heat.
Carola Leman, a 33-year-old veterinary nurse, managed to bake the cookies in just four hours.
Throughout the cooking time the thermometer in her car went ‘off the scale’ at 140F (60C).
And although the finished product tasted excellent, the team at Bishop’s Stortford Veterinary Hospital, Hertfordshire, said the experiment proved that even five minutes inside a hot car could kill a pet.
The thermometer inside the car went ‘off the scale’ at 60C – 140F – as the cookies baked in just four hours (pictured)
Carola with her dog Eris. The veterinary nurse said the experiment proved you should not leave dogs in cars during the hot weather
The baking was carried out on Monday, when temperatures hit 89F and the results were posted on Facebook by the 33-year-old.
She wrote: ‘So to prove a point about the heat generated in a car at themoment.
‘Experiment: Dashboard Cookies.
‘Outcome: Cars in this heat are like ovens.
‘Please do not leave animals or humans in the car in this heat. Even 5 minutes can be fatal for an overheated animal as it may result in the shutting down of the organs.
Having a window open makes no difference at all.’
Carola bought the ready-made cookie mix dough from a supermarket on Monday.
Her team of vets prepared the cookie dough into discs and placed them on a baking tray.
The tray was then placed on the dashboard of the car with a thermometer and left while they continued on with their shift for the rest of the day.
The required oven temperature was 180C – 356F – but they returned to their car to find the cookies completely cooked.
Carola said today: ‘It was so hot that the metal baking tray was starting to damage the dashboard so we had to take it out and put something underneath it.
‘We left them for four hours because we couldn’t keep coming back in the middle of our shift but afterwards they were completely done.
‘We ate them. They tasted fine.’
Carola added: ‘We have been quite lucky this year and haven’t had too many cases this year of dogs or animals overheating.
‘Last year we had cases of dogs collapsing and overheating when they are exercising.
‘The experiment proves that dogs should not be left in cars on a hot day and that it can be fatal.
Although the biscuits tasted excellent, the team at Bishop’s Stortford Veterinary Hospital, Herts, said the experiment proved that even five minutes inside a hot car could kill a pet
‘Only travel with your dog if it is absolutely necessary.
‘Our advice also is to walk your dog early in the morning and very late at night when it has started to cool down.
‘Check the pavements with your hand first, If you cannot hold the back of your hand pressed against the pavement for more than 5 seconds this is too hot for your dog’s feet.’
On social media, Jayne Steele wrote: ‘Wow. Why oh why are we reading that people are leaving their faithful loyal friends in cars? Makes me so sad.’
Isobel Ryan said: ‘Good grief.’
Janet Bowles added: ‘Look after rabbits and other caged pets as well the water bottles get hot. So does the water inside.’
Last month a vet performed an experiment on herself to highlight the danger to dogs left inside a car on a hot day.
Zephanie Woodward, from Bridgend, South Wales, filmed herself as the the temperature rose to 46C – 115F – in half an hour.
She had to leave the vehicle, emphasising the deadly heat that builds up in vehicles on a hot day.
Despite the country being gripped by an unprecedented heatwave, with temperatures soaring to 95F- a number of people have still been seen keeping their pooches in their cars, endangering their lives.
In one incident scaffolder Danny Crutttwell saved two puppies stuck inside a hot car before berating the owner for leaving them in there.
Mr Cruttwell, from Crawley, filmed as he freed the two dogs before confronting their owner when she returned to her car.
He said the temperature at the time, according to a reading from his car, was 33 degrees Celsius (or 91F).
In another dramatic incident police rescued a dog locked in a van after smashing a side window to get in.
The dog was seen in the Transit van parked in Bromley, Kent.
Officers smashed the window to get the dog – thought to be a cockapoo – out of the van for fresh air and a drink.
Bromley Police tweeted: ‘We were alerted to this dog locked in a van in Bromley this afternoon. It’s 30 degrees outside!
‘Officers left with no option but to break van window to get the animal out.’
And in Bristol a refuse worker and his colleague smashed a car window to save three dogs.
Lisa Hens, RSPCA dog welfare expert, said: ‘Never leave an animal in a car, caravan, conservatory or outbuilding when it’s warm outside as temperatures can quickly rise, even when it doesn’t feel that hot.
‘For example, when it’s 22C outside, within an hour the temperature can reach 47C inside a vehicle, which can result in death.
‘In an emergency, please dial 999 to report a dog in a hot car to police as they have the power to enter a vehicle to free the dog.
‘Sadly, the RSPCA has been made aware of far too many animals perishing inside vehicles due to the heat when their owners simply weren’t aware of the dangers of leaving their pets unattended during the warm weather. Please don’t take the risk and either keep your dog with you or leave them at home in the cool.’
RSPCA tips for keeping your pets cool
The number one rule in the summer is never ever leave your dog in the car, even if you have put the window down. Never do it
Never leave animals in hot cars, conservatories, outbuildings or caravans, even if it’s just for a short while.
Temperatures can quickly rise to 47°C (117°F) which can result in death.
Use pet safe sun cream on exposed parts of your pets skin, such as the tips of their ears and nose, to avoid sunburn. If you’re unsure on the right product, please ask your vet.
Ensure pets always have access to shade and fresh drinking water to help keep them cool.
Check every day for flystrike.
Putting ice cubes into your dog or cat’s water bowl or making some tasty ice cube treats is another fantastic idea.
Damp towels for your pet to lie on or an ice pack wrapped in a towel could provide a welcome relief from the heat.
Dogs may also appreciate a paddling pool to splash around in. Take a look at one of the dogs in our care enjoy a dip in the water.