A tenth person has been charged with falsely claiming benefits given to those caught up in the Grenfell disaster.
Derrick Peters was charged on Thursday with fraud and attempting to pervert the course of justice over the fire that killed 72 people.
The 58-year-old homeless man allegedly fraudulently received cash and hotel accommodation.
A tenth person has been charged with falsely claiming benefits given to those caught up in the Grenfell disaster
Police said he was remanded in custody after being charged at Isleworth Crown Court in west London, to appear again on August 23.
Earlier, 26-year-old homeless man Yonatan Eyob was charged on July 18 with one count of fraud by false representation.
Eyob will appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on July 30 as detectives continue to investigate claims fraudsters exploited the fire to claim cash meant for victims.
Five fraudsters have been jailed for defrauding charities and authorities out of money in the wake of the fire on June 14 last year, which claimed 72 lives.
Earlier this month, illegal immigrants Elaine Douglas and Tommy Brooks, 51 and 52, who said they lived in a flat on the 19th floor, were jailed for more than six years.
The Jamaican nationals spent more than £120,000 of taxpayers’ money after being granted pre-paid credit cards and stays at the Radisson Blu Edwardian Hotel.
Illegal immigrants Elaine Douglas (left) and Tommy Brooks (right) were jailed for Grenfell fraud
Grenfell fraudsters Mohammad Gamoota (left) and Joyce Msokeri (right) have also been jailed
A month earlier in June, Mohammad Gamoota, 31, was jailed for 18 months for pretending to be a Grenfell Tower victim’s son to get £5,000 and free hotel stays.
In April, Joyce Msokeri, 47, was jailed for four-and-a-half years at the Old Bailey for fraud after posing as a Grenfell survivor in a £19,000 scam.
She claimed the money in cash donations, electronics, handbags, dresses and hotel costs – and filled a room at Hilton hotel with donations from charities.
Two months prior, in February, serial conman Anh Nhu Nguyen, 53, was jailed for 21 months after pretending his family died in the Grenfell fire.
He claimed his wife and son were killed in the atrocity to obtain about £12,500 from funds intended for victims – and even met Prince Charles as he posed as a survivor.
Another fraudster, Anh Nhu Nguyen, met Prince Charles during his time posing as a victim
Two other men are currently awaiting trial on fraud charges relating to the fire – including father-of-five Abolaji Onafuye, 54, whose trial is due on October 29.
In a separate and unconnected case, Koffi Kouakou, 54, will be tried on November 19. A third accused conman, Abdelkarim Rekaya, 28, is due for trial on November 26.
Separately, a 57-year-old man was arrested yesterday on suspicion of fraud by false representation in relation to claims that he lived in Grenfell Tower.
He was then released under investigation. A further five people – four men and a woman – arrested as part of the probe into the blaze have been released on bail.
Sorry we are not currently accepting comments on this article.