News, Culture & Society

Hospitalised by a KISS | Daily Mail Online

A toddler spent four days in hospital after catching herpes from a so-called ‘deadly kiss’. 

Kalo Hoy’s parents noticed small red spots forming across his face, chest and arm last month.

His mother, Lorna Hoy, 27, from Salford, claims their fears were dismissed twice by doctors. 

It wasn’t until their third attempt to seek medical advice that their concerns were actually taken seriously, she said.  

Kalo tested positive for the herpes simplex virus – something doctors suggest he caught through kissing an infected adult.

Kalo Hoy, now two, spent four days in hospital last month after his parents, Lorna Hoy, 27, and Andy Briggs, 34, noticed small red spots forming across his face, chest and arm

Kalo tested positive for the herpes simplex virus - something doctors suggest he caught through kissing an infected adult

Kalo tested positive for the herpes simplex virus – something doctors suggest he caught through kissing an infected adult

The mother-of-four is now sharing her story to raise awareness for the virus, which, if not treated quickly, can be fatal in children.

Kalo has since made a full recovery after his time in hospital. It is unclear who may have passed the virus onto him.

Ms Hoy said: ‘Kissing children on their mouths and sharing cutlery is a common way to catch herpes, as it’s spread through saliva.’

The full-time mother added: ‘I never thought this would happen to our family.

‘Kalo had red spots all over this face, chest and arm before he was diagnosed with herpes.

‘He had ulcers in his mouth and needed injections in his eyes to ensure the infection hadn’t spread to them as this could’ve blinded him.

His mother, Lorna Hoy, 27, from Salford, claims their fears were dismissed twice by doctors (pictured together recently)

His mother, Lorna Hoy, 27, from Salford, claims their fears were dismissed twice by doctors (pictured together recently)

Kalo has since made a full recovery after his time in hospital. It is unclear who may have passed the virus onto him (pictured after his ordeal)

Kalo has since made a full recovery after his time in hospital. It is unclear who may have passed the virus onto him (pictured after his ordeal)

Kalo - who was admitted to Wythenshawe Hospital in Manchester on January 12 - needed an intense course of IV antibiotics in a bid to rid him of the infection (pictured after his ordeal)

Kalo – who was admitted to Wythenshawe Hospital in Manchester on January 12 – needed an intense course of IV antibiotics in a bid to rid him of the infection (pictured after his ordeal)

Andy Griggs, 34, a bus driver, added: 'Kalo had struggled to eat days before his diagnosis which was a real worry for us as parents' (the pair are pictured together in hospital)

Andy Griggs, 34, a bus driver, added: ‘Kalo had struggled to eat days before his diagnosis which was a real worry for us as parents’ (the pair are pictured together in hospital)

Herpes can be very serious in newborns due to their immune systems not being strong enough to fight off the infection (pictured with his father, Mr Briggs)

Herpes can be very serious in newborns due to their immune systems not being strong enough to fight off the infection (pictured with his father, Mr Briggs)

The couple who have three other children, Jayden, eight, Kaci, six and Jenson, four, are now sharing Kalo's shocking hospital photos, which show how quickly the herpes virus spread across his face, in a bid to raise awareness

The couple who have three other children, Jayden, eight, Kaci, six and Jenson, four, are now sharing Kalo’s shocking hospital photos, which show how quickly the herpes virus spread across his face, in a bid to raise awareness

Ms Hoy said: 'As a family never thought this would happen to us but we're so lucky that Kalo pulled through after his treatment'

Ms Hoy said: ‘As a family never thought this would happen to us but we’re so lucky that Kalo pulled through after his treatment’

WHAT IS HERPES?

Herpes viruses cause cold sores, which most commonly appear on the lips or genitals.

Around seven in 10 people in the UK are infected with the viruses.

However, only around one in three experience symptoms. 

In the US, around half of young adults are infected with the virus that causes cold sores around the mouth.

One in eight have the virus behind genital herpes.  

Cold sores on the lips most commonly get passed on by being kissed by someone with an active cold sore. 

They begin as a small red patch that blisters before bursting, leaving a raw area that scabs. 

Cold sores that appear on the face are most commonly caused by the herpes simplex type 1 virus.

Type 2 mainly affects the genitals.

It is rare for cold sores to spread away from the site they first appeared in.

And they are only transmitted by direct skin contact, not by sharing items such as towels or cutlery.

Oral sex is a common way for cold sores to pass from a person’s mouth to another’s genitals or vice versa.  

Once infected, sufferers may initially experience a fever and flu-like symptoms.

Cold sores can reappear if triggered by stress, illness, alcohol or too much sunlight.

This is because the virus stays in a nerve junction near the spinal cord. 

Many feel an itch, tingle or shooting pain before a cold sore reappears.

Antiviral medication may be prescribed if someone frequently suffers from outbreaks. 

Keeping sores moisturised can stop them cracking and becoming painful. 

Source: Herpes Viruses Association 

‘I have heard of babies dying from catching this virus which is awful and I think the only reason Kalo survived is because he was just under two at time.

‘I hope our story serves as a warning to other parents as it could happen to anyone.’

Kalo – who was admitted to Wythenshawe Hospital in Manchester on January 12 – needed an intense course of IV antibiotics in a bid to rid him of the infection.

His father, Andy Griggs, 34, a bus driver, added: ‘Kalo had struggled to eat days before his diagnosis which was a real worry for us as parents.

‘But thanks to the amazing care of the doctors and nurses he began eating yogurts as he began to recover.

‘Lorna shared the pictures of Kalo via Facebook to raise awareness for the infection and it went viral.

‘We want to encourage people to research the virus and look into its causes to prevent their children from going through what Kalo did.’

The couple who have three other children, Jayden, eight, Kaci, six and Jenson, four, are now sharing Kalo’s shocking hospital photos, which show how quickly the herpes virus spread across his face, in a bid to raise awareness.

Ms Hoy said: ‘Since getting home has been getting along great and is finally back to his good self.

‘However, the scars have remained on his face from the sores he had while in hospital.

‘We would all like to say thanks to the staff who cared for Kalo in one way or another at Wythenshawe Hospital.

‘As a family never thought this would happen to us but we’re so lucky that Kalo pulled through after his treatment.

‘I hope through sharing our experiences of it that we prevent others from going through the same.’  

Herpes can be very serious in newborns due to their immune systems not being strong enough to fight off the infection. Toddlers are less likely to face deadly complications. 

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.