According to WHO, globally, over 1.9 billion people are overweight. The United States is one of the countries with the highest number of overweight adults, estimated to represent 36% of the total population. Since many people struggle with weight loss, some have turned to appetite suppressant supplements to curb appetite.
Appetite-suppressant supplements help with weight loss in various ways. Fiber is the main ingredient in most appetite suppressants because they leave you feeling fuller. Some supplements contain a thermogenic ingredient to help you burn fat faster, while others will help you control your cravings.
Appetite suppressants share the same goal, to help you lose weight. However, the various appetite suppressant supplements in the market achieve this goal in different ways. This article will highlight how appetite suppressants will help you lose weight.
Ingredients In Appetite Suppressants That Aid In Weight Loss
Before buying an appetite suppressant, you should check the ingredients and determine how they aid in weight loss. This way, you get to choose supplements that suit your lifestyle and those likely to help you lose weight faster.
Thermogenic ingredients increase body heat and energy to help you lose weight. Main thermogenic ingredients in appetite suppressants include
- This is a chemical found in chilli. It helps raise your body temperature and increase your metabolism.
- Helps increase your energy even when your body is at rest. It stimulates body heat, which in turn boosts your metabolism.
- Bitter orange. This orange helps you burn calories even when you are not exercising.
- Green tea. Contains caffeine which improves your performance when exercising.
- Contains high concentrations of caffeine, the highest in any other plant. It boosts metabolism and decreases appetite.
- Green coffee bean extract. These are derived from raw coffee beans. They contain chlorogenic acid, a great fat accumulation inhibitor. This extract is also known to suppress appetite.
When combined with exercise, appetite suppressant supplements that contain thermogenic ingredients will help you burn fat faster. Since these ingredients increase your body temperature, your metabolism will pick up even when not exercising. The only difference is you will lose weight faster if you include exercises in your weight loss plan.
Fiber is the main ingredient in most appetite suppressants. If you are trying to lose weight, you are advised to increase your fiber intake to reduce your hunger pangs and cravings.
Popular fibers found in appetite suppressants include:
- Acacia fiber. Also known as gum arabic, this is an indigestible fiber that leaves you feeling fuller and controls the absorption of sugar.
- Saffron extract. This ingredient is a mood booster and keeps you from snacking.
- This is a soluble fiber that slows digestion, so you can spend hours without an urge to eat.
- Guar Gum. This fiber acts as a bulking agent. It slows digestion and stimulates feelings of fullness.
Ingredients That Influence The Brain To Control Appetite
Most overweight people struggle with their appetite because they do a lot of emotional eating. Some appetite suppressants work by redirecting the brain to redirect your thoughts away from food.
Appetite-suppressant supplements contain ingredients whose primary function is to take your mind away from cravings and emotional hunger. They include;
- Garcinia Cambogia. Contains hydroxycitric acid (HCA). It increases serotonin, a chemical component that helps improve your mood and control binge eating. It also boosts your metabolism.
- Griffonia simplicifolia. This ingredient, like Garcinia Cambogia, helps increase serotonin levels in the brain.
- Gymnema Sylvestre. This ingredient has anti-diabetic properties. It helps block the brain from sending messages of sweetness in sugary foods. If you have a sweet tooth, this ingredient will help you fight your cravings for sugar.
These are the common ingredients in appetite suppressants. As illustrated, the ingredients work in different ways to help you lose weight. Most appetite suppressants contain multiple ingredients that target your weight in different ways.
Unfortunately, appetite suppressants and other weight loss products do not undergo the rigorous controls that other drugs do. Knowing the ingredients and their functions will help you make informed decisions when choosing the ideal appetite suppressant for you.
Although some of the ingredients are highly effective at boosting weight loss, some have side effects. Since most of these ingredients are natural, the side effects are mild. However, if you have health conditions, such as diabetes and hypertension, you need to discuss your weight loss plans with your doctor.
Some appetite suppressants may be great for weight loss, but they may neutralize the effectiveness of some of your medications.