A knifeman was shot dead by armed police just five minutes after he launched a horrific attack near London Bridge which killed two and reportedly left up to 12 injured.
Police were called to the north side of London Bridge at 1.58pm this afternoon, to reports of a stabbing outside Bank station and Fishmongers’ Hall. It was later said the knifeman had stabbed up to five people.
Witness Guy Lawrence, 48, a London air ambulance volunteer, said the attacker ran out of what is believed to be Fishmongers’ Hall wielding two 20cm kitchen knives, the Sun reported.
Police were called to the north side of London Bridge at 1.58pm this afternoon, to reports of a stabbing outside Bank station and Fishmongers’ Hall
He added that two brave members of the public appeared to chase after the knifeman, one armed with a stick and another with a fire extinguisher.
Moments later, the attacker ran onto London Bridge where dramatic video showed he was tackled to the ground by at least six heroic members of the public.
The brave bystanders managed to disarm the man before armed police took control of the situation. Officers told people on top of the suspect to move away, before dragging the last bystander to safety and opening fire.
Armed police were heard shouting ‘stop moving’ twice before shooting the man at close range at 2.03pm.
Police also evacuated the south side of London Bridge near Borough Market, as hundreds of frightened bystanders began screaming and running for their lives as they heard shots being fired.
London Ambulance Service was called to the incident at 2.02pm on Friday afternoon, with the first medic arriving on scene within seven minutes of the call. The service later confirmed it had taken three people to two hospitals.
Up to five people were stabbed before the knife maniac ran onto London Bridge at around 2pm, where dramatic video (pictured above) showed he was tackled to the ground by at least six heroic members of the public
One of the bystanders on London Bridge was seen holding a knife (left) which appeared to have been taken from the suspect. Another man – believed to be the shot knifeman – could be seen lying on the ground, close to a knife (circled, right)
The London Fire Brigade also received its first call at 2.15pm.
The Metropolitan Police confirmed the incident was being responded to ‘as though it is terror-related’ as a ‘precaution’ at 3.22pm this afternoon.
A statement read: ‘At this stage, the circumstances relating to the incident at London Bridge remain unclear. However, as a precaution, we are currently responding to this incident as though it is terror-related.’
At 3.55pm, almost two hours after the attack began, police said ‘number of people have been stabbed’.
‘A number of people have been stabbed. We will provide further information when possible’, a further statement from the force read.
The suspect is seen on the floor above as armed office point their guns towards him. Members of the public can be seen stood around
A woman is carried away from the scene by police officers at London Bridge this afternoon. Four officer took her to safety
People are evacuated from London Bridge in the capital this afternoon after a police incident
It was revealed the attacker had been killed at the scene at around 4.20pm. The force also revealed the incident was being treated as a terror attack.
On Twitter, at 4.34pm, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said: ‘I want to thank the emergency services and members of the public for their immense bravery in responding to this suspected terrorist attack at London Bridge.
‘This is an appalling incident and all my thoughts are with the victims and their families.’
Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu then released an official statement around 15 minutes later. He confirmed a device ‘strapped to the body of the suspect is a hoax explosive device’.
He said: ‘I can confirm that at approximately 2pm today, Friday, 29 November, police were called to a stabbing at a premises near to London Bridge, EC1.
Police apprehend a man in an street on the south side of London Bridge today as they respond to the incident. Other members of the public seem to be walking past obliviously
Police at Borough Market after a knifeman was shot by officers at 2.03pm on London Bridge this afternoon. Emergency response units flooded the streets
Police and emergency services at the scene of the incident on London Bridge this afternoon. Police officers were seen co-coordinating members of the public
‘Emergency services attended, including officers from the City of London Police and the Metropolitan Police. A male suspect was shot by specialist armed officers from City of London Police and I can confirm that this suspect died at the scene.
‘A number of other people received injuries during the incident and as soon as we can provide further updates on their condition, we will. Our heartfelt sympathies go out to those anxiously awaiting news from loved ones.
‘Due to reports the suspect may have had an explosive device, specialist officers attended the scene and wide cordons are in place to ensure there remains no further danger to the public We believe a device that was strapped to the body of the suspect is a hoax explosive device’.
At around 6.30pm, it was reported that at least one member of the public had died in the attack.
It was confirmed by Metropolitan Police Chief Cressida Dick that two stabbing victims had died and three injured people were being treated in a hospital at around 8.20pm.