If you are setting up a modem for the first time, you might feel a bit intimated by the process. But no worries, we have got your back!
Having the best modem can give you a high-speed connection for a better experience. But when choosing a modem make sure it is compatible with your internet service provider. For instance, if you use Wow internet, then you need a WOW compatible modem and so on.
Setting up a modem is easy if you know the right steps. We have provided a step-by-step guide for you to follow.
- If you are using cable internet service, you will need a cable port in your house to connect your modem. For DSL phone internet service, you need to hook your modem into your home’s phone port. Make sure that the port is closer to the place where you want to park your modem.
- Now plug one end of the coax cable into the TV wall jack and the other end into the modem’s coax port.
- In this step, you need to connect the power connector to the modem. Insert the plug end into a power outlet on the wall.
- Once you plug it in, it will power up and cycle through the start-up program. During this time, you will see the indicators on the front of the modem blink. They will go solid one at a time. These ports include Power light, Online/Connected, Internet, and Network.
- After all the lights go solid or start blinking rapidly, you can start connecting your devices to the modem.
- Once the modem’s WAN port is hooked to your router, you are all set to start connecting devices. You can connect your PC and other devices.
If your modem has a built-in wireless router, you don’t need to connect it to a modem. You can set up the wireless network in the following way:
- At first, connect your PC or laptop to one of the LAN ports with a network cable.
- Now select the Start menu.
- Type in cmd and select Open under Command Prompt.
- Now enter ipconfig in the Command Prompt and press Enter.
- Go to your browser and open the IP address given in the ipconfig results for the Default Gateway. You will be taken to the login window for the router.
- Find the SSID from the list of available wireless networks and then choose the Connect button for that network.
- If you are connecting for the first time, you will be asked to provide your passkey\network security key.
- Once you enter your password, select Next to continue.
- You will see the wireless status change to Connected when the connection is successful.
By following the steps mentioned above, you can easily set up your modem. Make sure you follow all the steps correctly, especially if you are doing it for the first time.