News, Culture & Society

Huge rescue operation underway to free two tradies who became trapped four metres underground

Two tradies are rushed to hospital after being trapped four metres underground when a trench collapsed on top of them at a worksite

  • Two tradesmen who were trapped in an underground trench have been rescued  
  • Emergency services were called to a Melbourne worksite at 11.50am on Monday 
  • MFB trench specialists and Ambulance Victoria carried out the rescue mission
  • Police were in attendance at the scene and WorkSafe Victoria has been notified 

Two tradesmen who became trapped four metres underground after a trench collapsed on top of them have been rescued and taken to hospital.   

Emergency services were called to High St, Epping in Melbourne’s north, after they received reports of two men being trapped underground about 11.50am on Monday.

A major rescue mission to free the men was established by Metropolitan Fire Brigade trench specialists and Ambulance Victoria.  

Two tradesmen who became trapped four metres underground after a trench collapsed at a work site (pictured) have been rescued and taken to hospital 

Emergency services were called to High St, Epping (pictured) in Melbourne 's north, after they received reports of two men being trapped underground about 11.50am on Monday

Emergency services were called to High St, Epping (pictured) in Melbourne ‘s north, after they received reports of two men being trapped underground about 11.50am on Monday

An Ambulance Victoria spokeswoman later revealed a man in his 20s had been rescued and taken to The Royal Melbourne Hospital just before 3pm.

A short time later, 7News posted an update on their Twitter feed, which stated a second man in his 50s had also been freed and was being taken to hospital.

The Ambulance Victoria spokeswoman said both men were in a stable condition.

The man in his 20s sustained a leg injury during the incident, while the man in his 50s sustained suspected crush injuries, the spokeswoman told the Herald Sun.

An Ambulance Victoria spokeswoman confirmed  a man in his 20s had been rescued and taken to The Royal Melbourne Hospital just before 3pm

An Ambulance Victoria spokeswoman confirmed a man in his 20s had been rescued and taken to The Royal Melbourne Hospital just before 3pm

The spokeswoman  confirmed a second man in his 50s had also been freed and taken to hospital just before 4pm

The spokeswoman confirmed a second man in his 50s had also been freed and taken to hospital just before 4pm

Twenty-four firefighters attended the incident to help to rescue the two men, who became trapped by dirt after the trench collapsed.  

Victoria Police were also in attendance at the scene and WorkSafe Victoria have been notified. 

The cause of the incident is still under investigation. 



Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.