News, Culture & Society

Husband who lost his wife to toxic shock syndrome warns of coil

A devastated husband has told how he tragically lost his wife just a week after she had a contraceptive coil fitted.

Max Manikhouth, 34, a former machine operator from Dallas, lost Cindy, 32, on July 15th 2018, leaving their children Bree, seven, Neeci, three, and Cindy’s 12-year-old son from a previous relationship without a mother. 

Shockingly Cindy had contracted an irreversible infection in her contraceptive coil, causing toxic shock syndrome – a rare but life-threatening condition caused by bacteria getting into the body and releasing harmful toxins, according to the NHS.

Max claims that Cindy has gone to get the coil – a small T-shaped contraceptive device placed in a woman’s womb – just one week before she passed away.

Max Manikhouth, 34, a former machine operator from Dallas, lost Cindy, 32, on July 15th 2018, leaving their children Bree, seven, Neeci, three, and Cindy’s 12-year-old son from a previous relationship without a mother, pictured

Shockingly Cindy had contracted an irreversible infection in her contraceptive coil, causing toxic shock syndrome - a rare but life-threatening condition caused by bacteria getting into the body and releasing harmful toxins, according to the NHS

Shockingly Cindy had contracted an irreversible infection in her contraceptive coil, causing toxic shock syndrome – a rare but life-threatening condition caused by bacteria getting into the body and releasing harmful toxins, according to the NHS

Max said: ‘A few days after Cindy got the IUD she was nauseous, had diarrhea and cramps – which we believed was normal in the beginning.

‘However, she started to show signs of a fever, so she called a doctor and explained her symptoms, only to be told that everything she was experiencing was not out of the ordinary.’

Max also claims that Cindy, who was a supply distributor for a children’s hospital, was told to take Advil – a type of Ibuprofen – for two days by the doctor, which had no effect on her state.

As her symptoms worsened, Max decided to take Cindy to the emergency room.

Max claims that Cindy has gone to get the coil - a small T-shaped contraceptive device placed in a woman's womb - just one week before she passed away

Max claims that Cindy has gone to get the coil – a small T-shaped contraceptive device placed in a woman’s womb – just one week before she passed away

He described her condition: ‘I realised when she walked out of the bedroom after two of taking Advil that she was so pale – she looked like a zombie.

‘I took her to the ER myself and watched the doctors and nurses give her antibiotics, carry out dialysis and other transfusions – her kidneys were already failing.

‘Things weren’t looking good, and the doctor told me she only had a couple of hours left and her chances of resuscitation were low.’

Tragically, Cindy passed away that day. 

Max also claims that Cindy, seen previously on holiday, who was a supply distributor for a children's hospital, was told to take Advil - a type of Ibuprofen - for two days by the doctor, which had no effect on her state

Max also claims that Cindy, seen previously on holiday, who was a supply distributor for a children’s hospital, was told to take Advil – a type of Ibuprofen – for two days by the doctor, which had no effect on her state

Max had to ask another family relative to bring his children, Bree, seven, Neeci, three, and Cindy's 12-year-old son from a previous relationship to say their goodbyes, seen previously

Max had to ask another family relative to bring his children, Bree, seven, Neeci, three, and Cindy’s 12-year-old son from a previous relationship to say their goodbyes, seen previously

Max had to ask another family relative to bring his children, Bree, seven, Neeci, three, and Cindy’s 12-year-old son from a previous relationship to say their goodbyes.

Max, who was previously a machine operator in a warehouse, but hasn’t worked since Cindy’s death, had married Cindy two years earlier in 2016 after he proposed with a flash mob.

The pair married in a courthouse but were planning to hold a ‘real’ wedding later on.

The childhood sweethearts met when they just 16, but lost contact until they were reunited at a friend’s party when Max was 25.

Max, who was previously a machine operator in a warehouse, but hasn't worked since Cindy's death, had married Cindy two years earlier in 2016 after he proposed with a flash mob

Max, who was previously a machine operator in a warehouse, but hasn’t worked since Cindy’s death, had married Cindy two years earlier in 2016 after he proposed with a flash mob

Max is seen with their daughters their children Bree, seven, Neeci, three, who now know their children are in heaven

Max is seen with their daughters their children Bree, seven, Neeci, three, who now know their children are in heaven

Max said: ‘We had our ups and downs but we stuck together because we loved each other dearly.

‘She was a great mother and incredible. Sadly now all the kids know that mummy is in heaven.

‘Life is very different now – humbling, but different.’

Although it isn’t confirmed what actually caused the infection in Cindy’s IUD which led to the TSS, Max wants to raise awareness for toxic shock syndrome after the tragic incident.

‘I want people to go to the hospital if they have a fever or suspect something is wrong,’ he explained.

‘Life is short and tomorrow is never promised, and this can happen to any woman.

‘Even the most regular, everyday working mum providing for her kids and family lost her life.’

The pair, seen with  Bree when Cindy was pregnant, married in a courthouse but were planning to hold a 'real' wedding later on

The pair, seen with  Bree when Cindy was pregnant, married in a courthouse but were planning to hold a ‘real’ wedding later on

The childhood sweethearts, seen in 2017, met when they just 16 but unfortunately lost contact until they were reunited at a friend's party when Max was 25

The childhood sweethearts, seen in 2017, met when they just 16 but unfortunately lost contact until they were reunited at a friend’s party when Max was 25

Although it isn't confirmed what actually caused the infection in Cindy's IUD, Max wants to raise awareness for toxic shock syndrome after the tragic incident. Cindy is seen with her daughter

Although it isn’t confirmed what actually caused the infection in Cindy’s IUD, Max wants to raise awareness for toxic shock syndrome after the tragic incident. Cindy is seen with her daughter

WHAT IS TOXIC SHOCK SYNDROME? 

Toxic shock syndrome is a highly dangerous bacterial infection – but it can be misdiagnosed because the symptoms are similar to other illnesses and because it is so rare.

It occurs when usually harmless Staphylococcus aureus or Streptococcus bacteria, which live on the skin, invade the bloodstream and release dangerous toxins.

TSS’ prevalance is unclear but doctors have claimed it affects around one or two in every 100,000 women.

It has a mortality rate of between five and 15 per cent. And reoccurs in 30-to-40 per cent of cases.  

Symptoms usually begin with a sudden high fever – a temperature above 38.9°C/102°F.

Within a few hours a sufferer will develop flu-like symptoms including headache, muscle aches, a sore throat and cough.

Nausea and vomiting, diarrhoea, feeling faint, dizziness and confusion are also symptoms.  

Women are most at risk of getting toxic shock syndrome during menstruation and particularly if they are using tampons, have recently given birth or are using an internal barrier contraceptive, such as a diaphragm.

While tampon boxes advise to change them between four to eight hours, it is common for women to forget and leave them in overnight. 

Treatment may involve antibiotics to fight the infection, oxygen to help with breathing, fluids to prevent dehydration and organ damage, and medication to control blood pressure.

Dialysis may also be needed if the kidneys stop functioning. 

In severe cases, surgery may be required to remove dead tissue. In rare incidences, it may be necessary to amputate the affected area. 

To prevent TSS, women should use tampons with the lowest absorbency for their flow, alternate between a tampon and a sanitary towel, and wash their hands before and after insertion.

Tampons should also be changed regularly, as directed on the packaging – usually every four to eight hours. 

 

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk


Comments are closed.